sunset tour

Opening my bedroom door, seeing Sky standing in my room, surprised me. After the talk with my parents, she went back to her room with my mom and I was certain that's where she would stay for only God knows how long.

But here she was--in my room, looking at me with panic and bitterness both etched on her face.

My feet remained planted and as I stood near the door to my bedroom, a sad smile found its way onto my face, noticing the way she took a few steps back creating more distance between us.

"Sky, look... I'm sorry. I never wanted it to be like this."

She let out a sarcastic little laugh, her head cocking back before her eyes bore into me.

"Never wanted it to be like what, Matthew? What, you've never had a hostage? Always go straight to murder, is that it?"

Matthew-- the name she knew pissed me off to no end-- was now something she was using to taunt me.

I let out a defeated huff as I hung my head, her name on my lips when I finally looked up.

"Sky... I'm sorry, okay? And I wish things were different, I really do. I wish-- you make me wish--that I was normal. That all of this... "

I waved my hands around a little, silently referencing my lifestyle.

"... Didn't define me. If I could just be a regular guy with a shitty job and a broke down car... I'd do that for you in a second. But, this-- it's who I am."

I let out another defeated sigh, shaking my head a little as it dropped.

I walked over to her, feeling like shit when her eyes widened in what looked like fear as I pulled her phone out of my pocket.

"Here."

I handed it to her, noticing the weary, cautious look on her face as she looked down at the device before her eyes questioningly met mine.

"You're actually giving this back?"

I shrugged my shoulders as I shoved my hands in my pockets, keeping my eyes glued to the floor beneath me.

"Well, yeah. I mean... It's your phone."

That didn't mean I hadn't put a tracker on it... for her safety.

"Sky this is your home, too. I don't want you to feel like you're trapped here."

She scoffed and cocked her head back a little, rolling her eyes as she shook her head.

"Right."

I rolled my eyes as well, a bit out of frustration as she crossed her arms over her chest.

I wasn't mad at her; I was mad at myself and the situation I put us in by not telling her.

But I knew I had to at least try making this a little better for her.

"I mean it, Shortcake."

Her head was turned to the side and she was silent, avoiding my gaze.