birthday

"Are you sure you don't mind closing? I mean-- you've been working nonstop doubles this entire month. You can go and enjoy the rest of your night if you want to."

I smiled and shook my head, brushing off what my boss, the cafe owner, said. Ms. Duncan was a sweet older lady, and I was grateful for all the hours I was able to spend working this summer.

After Matteo and I broke up, I dove headfirst into picking up as many shifts as I could. There was a strain in my heart where Teo used to be and all the time spent at the bakery was a nice way to dull the ache.

"Honestly, Ms. Duncan-- it's no problem. Sure, most college kids are spending these last few weeks before school out partying, but I'd rather work so I have some money set aside when classes begin."

If I wasn't at the bakery, my mind would drift to Matteo, and that was the last thing I wanted, so working and stacking my coins became my main concern.

"Alright... Well, have a good night. I'm opening tomorrow so why don't you take the morning off? You can come in at one."

Most weeknights at the bakery were pretty slow and tonight was no different. As I wiped down the last few trays, my thoughts wandered back to Matteo, what happened, and why he would do it. 

As I felt the familiar welling in my eyes, I sniffled and shook my head.

He and I were obviously different, it would've never worked.

School's starting soon and that's my focus and priority.

From now on, school would be bae.

As the front doorbell rang, I scrunched my eyebrows, almost certain that I had locked up.

"Sorry, but we're..."

The pair of eyes looking back at me when I turned around were the same ones I had been haunted by for the past month and now that he was here, I felt my walls already starting to fall with just the look he was giving me.

I took a deep breath, reminding myself what happened and why it hurt so much to even look at him.

"We're closed."

His shoulder slumped a little before he began approaching the front counter that I began wiping down.

"Sky--"

"What are you doing here, Matteo?"

I knew if I stood there, just watching him watch me, that I'd cave, and I couldn't, so I turned my back and began wiping around the cappuccino machine.

"We need to talk."

He had already crushed my heart and I knew if I gave it back to him now, he could completely destroy it. My eyes focused on the metal counter I was cleaning and the rag I was wiping it down with as I shook my head.

"There's nothing for us to talk about."

"Skyler, come on. I--"

"No!"

After throwing the rag on the counter, I turned to face him, ready to let him absolutely have it, but when my voice came out it was cracked, and unsteady.

"Tell me something, Matteo. What would you do if it was you that walked in on me in my underwear and I had some guy's dick in my hand?"

He looked away and shut his eyes, his jaw clenching as he shook his head.

"And then I give you some BS about it not looking exactly like what it was?! You'd never wanna even look at me again."

His tears began to slowly trickle down his face, and mine matched his within seconds, but I sniffled, knowing I couldn't trust him not to hurt me again.

"And you know what, Teo? That's exactly what I want."

He looked at me in confusion, his head tilting to the side, almost like he didn't hear me.

"Huh?"

"I never wanna see you again."

The wounded look on his face was undeniable, and as much as I wanted to reach out and comfort him, I knew I needed to protect my own heart.

"You don't mean that. You can't..."

When he saw the serious look on my face, the fragile, wounded look on his face hardened and he clenched his jaw and began nodding a little.

"Fine."

He stuffed his hands into the pockets on his leather jacket and pulled out a small box. After tossing it onto the counter, he looked up at me, his green-gray eyes burning into my skin.

"Happy birthday, Skyler."

I watched as he turned and headed for the door. Once there, he stopped and turned his head; I sucked in a breath, thinking he was going to say something but a second later, his shoulders slumped forward and he left.

I raced around the corner and over to the door, locking it and double-checking the double bolt before pulling down the shade.

As I slumped back and slid down the door, I shut my eyes, resting my hand on my frantically heaving chest.

Why did that all just feel like a terrible mistake?

🌹