family emergency

The new casino/resort right in the heart of Lake Tahoe was my idea.

The tourist spot was known for wild Spring Breaks for spoiled rich kids and I wanted to keep that party going all year long.

After convincing my dad and brothers to give the plot of land a look, they were all in agreement, and this had been my first legit project on my own.

I'd been flying back and forth, working for the past two months on this and I knew the resort would end up being the perfect front for the family's less than legal dealings.

After showing my dad and brothers the blueprints, we walked through the casino floor in its early construction phase, and I showed them where everything would be including the underground tunnels, secret exit, and the panic room behind the private office.

As we all walked out the secret exit and back over to our cars in the lot, Tommy threw an arm over my shoulder and kissed my cheek.

"Good job, Kid. This is gonna be fucking amazing."

I smiled, patting my brother on the back and nodding.

"And, here, I thought you were all about your Bambina."

My eyes cut over to Dre, who had an enormous grin on his face and I couldn't help but smile as I thought about Sky, knowing she was my soft spot.

"Never said I wasn't, man. But, that doesn't mean I'm not keeping my focus on what needs to get done."

My father strolled up behind us, his authoritative voice booming when he spoke.

"A good balance is necessary for any man's sanity, my boys. And there's no amount of power or money one can have that would ever be able to replace the love of a good woman."

My dad turned to me, smiling with a far-off look on his face before his eyes flickered in urgency.

"Non lasciarla mai andare, Figlio."

(Don't you ever let her go, Son.)

As he approached the chauffeured SUV that was waiting for him, my father removed his tailored-suit jacket and hung it over his arm, before letting out a sort of relieved sigh.

"And now, after business, it's time for my balance: flying out for a spa weekend in San Diego with your mother."

"Spa weekend? Damn, this pre-retirement really is making the old man soft, huh?"

Marco, Tommy, and I all laughed with Dre, knowing that our mom has definitely softened Dad's edges throughout the years; she was the only one who ever could.

"Ancora abbastanza in me per frustarti tutti e quattro i culi."

(Still enough in me to whip all four of your asses.)

My brothers and I all shared a stifled laugh as my phone rang in my pocket. I pulled it out and the jovial smile on my face turned; my eyebrows knit together and a cold chill ran over my body as I answered the call.