Chapter 37

"Two years, Christian, you've been gone for two whole years and not once did you think to call your favorite little sister?

"You're my only little sister."

"Don't try to distract me with meaningless details." She said, placing a hand on her hip. "Explain."

Christian cleared his throat, casting a glance back at me from the doorway.

Now that I'd managed to get my hormonal pussy in check, I sat in an armchair in one corner of the room, my view of them slightly skewed by the half-open door, trying to shake the feeling that I'd just been caught doing something bad.

And maybe I had been.

After all, no matter how handsome Christian was and how much he turned me on, there was no future for us, not in this world of betrayal and murder.

Not after everything he'd done...

What the hell was wrong with me?

"I was on an extended...mission." He finally said.

His voice constricted a little around the word mission. Maybe he was trying not to offend me. And truth be told, I was offended but mostly (albeit irrationally) about the fact that he hadn't introduced me.

Whatever, I wasn't his girlfriend.

"Let's talk about this out in the hall."

"You're not going to introduce me to your new girlfriend? Really, Chris? You are full of disappointments today."

"Ciana." Christian growled, drawing the door closed behind him.

For a couple of minutes, I could hear his sister chatting about inconsequential things. Demanding to know the places he'd been in the last two years, how he'd missed Gerogescu's wedding and how much she (still) hated their father.

My stomach grumbled as I scanned the room, realizing I hadn't eaten in a while-- of course, if you ignored the fact that I'd actually drank blood a few hours ago.

"You what!?"

I jumped at the sound of Daciana's shriek, realizing I hadn't noticed how quiet they'd gone up until them.

"The girl from the mission--that's who was lying naked in your bed?"

"Shh, Ciana. Someone will hear."

"What is wrong with you? Why would you sleep with her if you've only brought her here to...oh--oh my God. Chris. Tell me I'm wrong."

"What are you taking about?"

"Do you like her?"

"Damn it, Ciana, would you lower your voice? If father hears--"

"Oh, you have bigger problems than father hearing. Are you out of your mind? Did you honestly think this was a good idea, falling--falling for the enemy?"

Up until then, I'd been complacent, but now I was pissed.

I was not the enemy here.

I was a hostage.

And I would not be talked about like I didn't exist.

As I swung the door open, a part of me slightly regretted not hearing Christian's response. The other part of me that hadn't tasted food in days, wanted blood and not to drink it.

"My name is Aimee and I'm not your fucking enemy. I'm a hostage."

Ciana clamped her lips shut at the same time that Christian flinched.