Chapter 34

The shock of those words on his lips made the magic fizzle, the sensation like a sneeze that got away.

In the next moment, he crossed the room, grabbed my wrists, pinned them to my sides and wrapped his arms around me.

A bubble of expensive cologne, mixed with sweat and the faint smell of burnt clothing overpowered me.

And for a moment, all I felt was him, his sturdy arms.

But then reasoning kicked in.

Christian wasn't holding me to be kind.

He was holding me to keep me from using my powers on him.

"Let go of me you bastard!"

"Not until you've calmed down."

"I'm warning you, Christian, I'll hurt you. You think I won't do it but I will."

"I did not kill your father. I did not kill Luke." He pulled back slightly to look me in the eye. The circle of his arms was a snare and he was so close that I could feel the pounding of his heart against mine.

His arms were mapped with veins that I could feel through the thin fabric of my t-shirt and even though something about his proximity always made my breath hitch, I hated him for it, hated everything about him.

"I am a coward with no redeeming qualities perhaps, but look me in the eye and believe me when I say that my fight was not with your father. I may be a killer but I am not wasteful and your human father would have posed no threat to me. I know you have no reason to believe me. But here," he went to the tray I'd eyed before and grabbed the knife, using it to slice into his palm.

Blood bloomed over his pale skin. Shocked, I met his eyes which were a bright, almost ice blue and there was a desperation in them.

"I'll sign a blood contract agreeing to tell you the truth. Remember what you signed at the Verlac's? Blood contracts cannot be broken."

I swallowed hard, my heart galloping in my chest.

He rummaged through his desk and produced a paper and pen. Scribbling something on it in blood, he rushed back to me, holding it out for me to inspect.

He, Christian Dannek, promised to answer any question truthfully.

I looked at him, bottom lip trembling slightly. "Did you...did you kill my father?" I croaked.

"No," he said firmly.

I waited but nothing happened. Christian did not bleed and there was no fog, no sense of the earth shattering this time. In that moment I knew he wasn't trying to use his powers on me and I knew, with certainty, that for once, Christian Dannek was telling the truth.

A weight lifted from my chest. One less stab wound yet one truth did not absolve him of all his other lies, did not so easily erase everything else he'd done to me.

"I trusted you." I choked out.

"I know you did. And I know I deserve any punishment you can think of but not here, not now. Please, if you use your magic, my plan to get you of out here will fail."

I shook my head but he continued.

"I'm going to get you out of here. I promise I won't let Henric hurt you, Aimee."

A bubble of hysteria rose in my throat, coming out as a manic laugh. I giggled, trying to stifle the sounds, my mouth slightly muffled by his shoulder.

The laughter poured out of me, two laughs turning into three four, until slowly, they all transformed into sobs.