Chapter 27

When I woke up, it was to the sound of a baby crying.

"Sorry, girl." Hannah mumbled as she bounced her baby up and down in her arms.

"That's ok. Is she feeling better?"

"Yeah. Just hungry."

"Where are the guys?" I asked.

"In the room across the hall. They went down and got a second room."

"Oh."

"Hey, I know it's none of my business but...is everything okay with you and your boyfriend? Look, I'm not nosy and the only reason I'm asking is because you looked pretty scared back in the car—"

"I did?"

"Um, yeah." She responded as she readjusted her baby in her arms.

I bit my lip, trying to remember why I'd been scared.

Maybe because of the Verlacs?

"If you're not safe, if he hurts you, you can come with me. I'm leaving for my hometown tomorrow and you can come with us. That's, if you want to. Your choice."

"Thank you, Hannah, but Christian is not my boyfriend and he doesn't hurt me. The whole situation with the Verlacs must have gotten to me."

"Oh, well then, ok. I just—I know what it's like to be in that situation and—and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I did. And if I can help in any way..."

My eyes softened.

"Did your baby's father hurt you?"

Hannah looked down briefly before she took a deep breath and held her chin up.

"He did but he doesn't get to do that to me ever again. When I found out I was pregnant with her," she said as she stroked her baby's forehead. "That's when I knew I had to get out. And I did."

"I'm so sorry. I'm glad you got out."

"Me too."

"Where will you go after this?" I asked.

She tucked a lock of sandy blonde hair behind her ear. "There's a pack in Venice. That's where I was headed before Verlac's men attacked and kidnapped me. They'll offer me protection."

"You sure you'll be ok? You could come with us...I'm positive Christian and Brandon would help keep you safe."

"They're vampires." She said with a crinkling of her nose.

"Right. You two are mortal enemies."

"Something like that. Anyway, I'll be on my way at first light."

"Save travels." I told her. "My best wishes to you and your baby. I hope that bastard never comes near you again."

"Thank you." She smiled.

I kicked the blankets off my legs and stood, stretching the kinks out of my joints.

The dress had become itchy while I'd slept and I wanted out of it.

"I'm going to hop in the shower." I told her.

She made a noncommittal noise.

Inside the shower, I finally got a moment of peace.

I scrubbed every inch of my body clean, hoping to erase any trace of Carlos and his wicked family from my skin.

When I was done, I had the inkling sensation that I'd forgotten something.