Chapter 45

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Christian said, calmly.

Patiently.

As Damian's words sunk in, I stepped back as if someone had electrocuted me.

I glanced at Chris, trying to gauge his reaction for any sign of a lie but he remained cool and collected.

"See for yourself, Aimee." Damian said as he viciously ripped a sheet of paper from his manila folder and thrust it into the air.

I examined the picture.

My mouth went dry as I quickly recognized Christian's face in black and white. From the curve of his lips to the shape of his nose, everything was identical.

"Chris...why--why is your face on that picture?"

"Aimee," Unwittingly, I shrugged off his hands when he tried to grip my shoulders. "Sweetheart, look at me. When I vowed to never lie to you again, I fucking meant it. I even signed a blood contract that night, to answer any question truthfully, remember? I don't know what your friend here is talking about."

"He-he did." I stuttered, turning to Damian. "There must be some sort of mistake, Dai. Blood contracts, they-they can't be broken."

Damián scoffed. "Not broken, no, but a crafty person can sure as hell manipulate one. What did you ask, Aimee? Were you specific?"

The gears in my mind spun, trying to remember the exact words I'd asked.

A heaviness sank into my chest, the need to vomit or cry.

"My father...I-I asked you if you'd killed my father and you said no. And you were telling the truth at the time. You—you did not kill my father because—because Stefan is very much alive."

"Fuck, Aimee." Christian breathed, shaking his head. "You're letting him get inside your head. I did not kill Luke."

"Don't lie. You murdered him because he was an obstacle on your way to killing Aimee." Damian seethed. "Luke would have never let you near her without a fight."

"No," Christian growled. "Aimee, look at me."

I staggered a step back, my breath hitching as my head swam. Suddenly, it felt as if the world was crumbling around me.

"There's one other explanation that makes sense if you'll just give me a minute to explain—"

"A minute? A whole minute? I know how your lies work, Chris, a minute is all you need. You-you said I could trust you. I'm so stupid...after everything that's happened I-I should have known better. He was my father, Christian."

Tears pricked at my eyes. I hadn't realized I'd been doing it, but when I reached out to steady myself against a bookcase, I found myself several feet away from Christian.

"So, you're just going to take his word for it, then? You're not even going to give me the benefit of the doubt?"

I steeled myself, forcing the words to come out. "Unlike you, Christian, Damian has never lied to me."

I hated the hurt expression that came over his face, but before I could take it back, or decide if I even wanted to, Damian spoke.

"Here are the charges filed against you with the vampire bureau of investigations."

I wasn't sure what was going through my head just then.

I felt hollow.

Cold.

"My father filed them before he also died. Maybe you killed him too, who knows? You may be a King now but that's not going to stop me from bringing you down. You can count on that motherfucker."