Chapter 19

"I quit." Christian dropped his suitcase onto the marbled floors of the great Dannek castle.

His father, the king, looked up from the space above the mantel where a single candle burned, illuminating the portrait above him.

They were in the study, a room with high ceilings, thick wooden beams running the length of it.

Thick velvet drapes tapered the windows emblazoned with the Dannek family crest of two lions holding double-edged swords.

"Did you say something?"

"I said." Christian gritted. "I quit. I don't care what you do to me. I've wasted enough of my life chasing after the Hybrid and I'm done. I want my life back."

He held his breath, waiting for the fury that was sure to come.

Perhaps the end for him was near. Not many got to say no to the king and be allowed to live. But he thought of what his father had been asking of him all these years, to risk his life, sacrifice it even just for the sake of finding the hybrid.

And that was no way to live.

"I didn't realize you were so unhappy with your task." Henric said, feigning innocence.

"I am, father."

Henric studied a goblet of wine resting on the mantel with great concentration. He ran one pale finger along a drop of condensation that slide down the side of the brass chalice.

"Then perhaps you should not be commander."

"Perhaps you are right."

Henric's chin cast up, watching Christian out of the corner of his eye.

"Perhaps you are no longer my son but a coward."

"Perhaps." Christian repeated over a knot in his throat.

What did it matter if he was disowned and gave everything up anyway? His life had ended a long time ago. It ended the moment he accepted the task of finding and killing Aimee.

And now he'd grown exhausted by it all.

He wasn't even sure why he was supposed to kill her.

Aimee wasn't evil, as he'd been lead to believe.

Wouldn't the more clever move be to use her for the good of the kingdom?

If he were King, that's what he would've done.

Because with her as an ally, they'd be nearly untouchable. Stefan wouldn't dare attack them then.

But instead, all Henric wanted to do was kill her. He said it was to prevent her from ever being used against their kingdom but Christian was beginning to believe what he'd long suspected to be true: it was and had always been about revenge for Henric.

Aimee was a smart and stubborn woman and after getting to know her the past few weeks, he couldn't bring himself to believe she'd blindly join somebody else's war. That she'd join forces against Reader nation just because someone told her to.

Whoever thought she would, clearly hadn't met her yet.

And as much as he hated to admit it, after what had happened the other night, and the confusing storm of emotions that had followed within him, he realized he was no longer the right man for this job.

He'd felt like complete and utter scum, seeing her with those big violet eyes, looking up at, thank him. And thanking him for what? For lying to her? Deceiving her? For trying to deliver her to her death?

He couldn't do that and still look at himself in the mirror.

"I am ashamed of you."

Christian tipped his chin in acknowledgement. He knew his next words were dangerous but he said them anyway.