Chapter 23

My mouth hung open in horror and my throat made a squeaking nose of surprise.

Christian sucked in a gasp and stumbled.

He gripped the side of the wall, as he slowly fell down, down until he was on his knees.

"Aimee, run. Use you powers on him and run."

"No, I—"

"Run! Don't look back."

My eyes darted up to see Carlos repositioning himself against the only exit.

My eyes narrowed as I zeroed in on him.

How much damage could I really inflict on him as a Changeling?

He must have known something I didn't about my strength because his face cast over with a split second of worry.

After a moment, he'd composed himself, the poker face back in place.

"Boss, what do I do with the prince?"

"The prince? There was never a prince here, Rowan. Merely an intruder. Go ahead and kill him."

"Wait—wait." I shouted at Carlos's retreating back. "You kill him and I'll use my powers on you. I'll blow this whole place apart just to watch you burn."

I stepped out of the cell, focusing all my energy on the tips of my fingers.

A slow, painful trickle began to nip at my fingertips. I didn't need to look to know there was a dark magic bubbling there.

Carlos glanced down at my hands, an almost imperceptible gulp traveling down along his Adam's apple.

"My, that's quite a threat."

"Not a threat." I gritted. "A promise."

"Well, what would you have me do instead darling, Aimee?"

"Let him go...and...and I will help you heal your dying wife."

His face lit up like a tree on Christmas morning.

"You'd really do that? For me? Oh, what a darling girl you are."

"Aimee, don't. You can't heal her, not without—"

"Shut him up!" Carlos roared.

The guard punched Christian in the face, causing blood to spray from his mouth.

"Are you willing to sign a blood contract? As insurance for myself that you are telling the truth."

Christian thrashed on the ground, trying to speak. "Aimee, don't!"

"Shut him up!" Carlos' roar echoed once again through the cavern.

"Do you think I'm stupid?" I asked, just as the guard delivered another blow to Christian's face. I fought the urge to grimace at the sound his knuckles made when they connected with skin. "I won't sign anything I haven't read."

"Then he dies."

I glanced back at Christian.

With a nod from Carlos, the guard pressed the barrel of the gun to Christian's heart.

"Silver bullets." Carlos explained. "I've found them to be much more efficient than a stake. Also cleaner."

Anger coursed through me, but also fear.

Fear that he'd make good on his promise.

"I don't really have a choice, do I?"

Carlos yelped in delight. "Now we are getting somewhere. You gave up your choice the moment you stepped foot on my land, little darling."