Chapter 8

When we reached Starbucks, I finally gathered enough of my bearings to yank my hand out of his.

The aroma of coffee greeted us with its warm familiarity. A quiet chatter dissipated through the store and pleasant pop music played through speakers in the ceiling yet I still felt like I'd stepped into another world.

We stood just inside the entrance, me glaring at him while he looked at me expectantly.

"What?" He finally asked.

"You're not going to say anything about what just happened?" I stared at him, mouth agape.

"Well, my plan was to get you cleaned up first before people start to think I put my hands on you. You look like crap."

"Wow, thanks." I muttered.

"Look, I know you think I'm the bad guy here but I did just save you from two..."

"Vampires." I hissed, my eyes glued to his.

He cleared his throat. "Right, well, maybe you shouldn't say that out loud in a room full of people."

"Maybe you should answer my questions."

"C'mon." He said, guiding me by the elbow like I was a little kid.

One lady looked up from her laptop, following us with a critical eye.

I stared back until she looked away, uncomfortable.

Once we reached the bathroom, Christian ushered me into it, turning the lock behind him.

I glanced around the small room almost immediately realizing there was nothing here I could use against him as a weapon.

"Would you stop looking at me like I'm going to—"

"Bite me?" I countered.

"Hurt you." He responded, his eyebrows drawing together with annoyance.

"Well hell if I know what your plans are. Just a few hours ago I thought you were just some pompous European jerk and now it turns out you're a fucking vampire from Transylvania—and—"

He scoffed.

He took a few paper towels and went to the sink, using his hands to dampen them.

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

"Transylvania? Could you be less original?"

"Well, you got a better explanation?"

"I do. But first." He held up the wet towels.

I stared at them and then back at him.

I snatched the towels from his hand and went to the mirror, grimacing when I saw my reflection.

I'd definitely had bad days before but never this bad.

My nose and upper lip were bloody. My I love NY t-shirt was splattered with red and my nose and eyes were swollen.

Christian leaned against the sink beside me, his eyes following my movements.

"Stop staring at me." I grumbled. "I look like shit."

"You definitely are fae." He laughed.

"Fae? What the heck is a fae?"

Christian raised his eyebrows, humor glinting in his eyes.

I dropped the napkins in the trash bin and turned to him.

"Are you enjoying this?

"Enjoying what?"