23| YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND

Topper had thrown a few jalapeño poppers on a plate as Joey came down stairs, hair wet and in new clothes

Topper had thrown a few jalapeño poppers on a plate as Joey came down stairs, hair wet and in new clothes. She looked tired, but warmer then what she was. "Hey."

"Hey." Joey said back, sliding into the seat at the bar.

"Feel any better?" he hummed in response.

"For the most part. My nose still hurts from all the water." she said in return, leaning on her elbow. "He's insane."

"Yeah." Topper admitted with a head shake. "What were you even doing there?"

"Kook Project." Joey said in return, rubbing her neck, Rafes hands leaving a mark and soreness.

Topper looked in disbelief. "So, you go to Rafe?"

Joey ignored him, pulling the plate closer to eat one. Topper sighed when he realized she wasn't gonna talk. "I feel like there's something going on that you haven't told me about."

"I can't." Joey met his eye. "I would. But, I can't."

"Why? Do you not trust me?" he looked at her in disbelief.

"You've been hiding something from me too." Joey pointed out as he blinked. "You said earlier that you don't want to lie to me. So, clearly, there's been something."

"Well, i'm deciding to tell you now." he said back with a head shake, walking toward the living room. "I know you're gonna be mad at me."

Joey rubbed her tired eyes as Topper grabbed a folder, walking back over. Joey saw her full name written across the front. "Are those my medical records?"

"No, legal papers." he said back, getting a look of disbelief. "My grandfather is the judge."

"Ugh, and that just makes it okay?" Joey looked at him in shock.

"No, no." Topper rose his hand to show that wasn't what he meant. "I got them because I remember something, but I wasn't sure."

"So why not just ask me instead of being a creep?" she took the folder from him. "What's even in here?"