XVII

October 24, 2005
7:31 p.m.
Hanagaki Residences

Your brother came home, looking like he had just seen a ghost. Perhaps he has, who knows. "You good?" You asked, setting down the book you were reading. "Huh? Yeah, perfectly- perfectly fine." He smiled nervously.

"Good lie. I almost believed it." You commented, as he sat down on the couch next to you, plopping tiredly. "Ha-ha, great." He replied sarcastically. "What's good?" You asked. "Nothing." he groaned, putting his hands to his face.

"The battle against Valhalla is 6 days from now and I still have no idea how to get Baji-san back!" He cried. "Ah right, or else you're dead." You said. "Don't remind me." He groaned. "How do you know it's 6 days from now?" You asked.

"I met up with Valhalla's number 2 and 3. And- and..." He sighed defeated. "Baji-san was there and he was beating up his vice-captain." He said lowly. "Oh." You reacted.

Honestly, you didn't even know how to properly do so. You knew he could get violent when you hung out with him but not to the point that he's endangering someone close to him Especially not his Vice-Captain.

Blood.

Baji.

Blood.

Save him.

The voices started to ring out again. You realized that they subconsciously repeat words, names or short phrases when something bad is about to happen. They never explain it, they just do. They usually don't talk to you properly again until the mishap is finished. And they give you a migrain.

"Y/n?" Your brother asked, squeezing your shoulder as you rubbed your forehead. "Dinner. Dinner's ready. I'm going to bed early." You said lowly, standing up with your thumb and index still rubbing your temples as you headed to your room.

You shut your eyes as the voices repeated their words. You can't seem to hold up to what would happen.

Blood.

Baji.

Backstabber.

They kept repeating. And every time they did, it became more firm and louder until you finally dozed off. But upon sleeping you still couldn't get the image of a misfortune event coming to Baji.

School didn't make it any easier. Tiredly walking with Naoto since Takemichi headed with Hina to buy something, as you slouched, yawning every now and then. "You didn't get enough sleep, didn't you?" Naoto asked.

"Good eye." You glared. "How'd you know?" You asked sarcastically. "You're cranky when you don't get enough sleep or when you just woke up." He answered truthfully. "Gee, thanks."

"You have tutoring with Fumiko again later today, right?" He asked, making you nod tiredly. "Do you want me to wait for you?" He offered. "Mm... Sure." You agreed.

"How's the voices?" He asked. "They won't talk properly, they just keep telling me 'Blood' and 'Baji'." You groaned. "Do they do that often?" You shook your head. "No, only when something bad happens. Then they won't talk until it's finished." You frowned. It isn't much help either.

"Wait- Who's Baji?" Naoto asked. "A gang member. I think something bad's about to happen to him." You answered. "It's too tiring." You stratched and yawned, entering your classroom with Naoto greeted by a monotone Hotaru and an energetic Fumiko.

"Sorry about yesterday, Y/n." Fumiko frowned. "Ahane's really stubborn." She sighed. "It's fine, it's fine." You consoled. "Hopefully we get some progress later." You smiled tiredly.

Alas, you did not make any progress. Pardon the author's sudden medieval frantic speaking.

The tutoring couldn't get harder. Meeting in the Choji's home probably wasn't the best idea. Choji was arguing with Fumiko, Keiko didn't even seem to pay attention, and Kentaro was nowhere to be found.

You sat in between Naoto who was just reading one of the crime fiction books he bought and Kisaki who was checking on Keiko's paper.

Isn't it a great spot? Great is an overstatement. It was terrible.

You were studying math currently, which you were average at so it wasn't that much help. You seemed to be stuck on one of the problems. Kisaki seemed to be smart for it, so was Naoto. Who would you ask.

Naoto it is- Aaaand he's asleep. Guess he was just as sleep deprived as you were. Guess that leaves him.

You glaced towards Kisaki, still quite agitated about his tutee's answers. Keiko couldn't care less, balancing a pencil between his nose and lips. You were contemplating whether to do so. You could ask the voices but then again, they're out of commission.

"Tetta-kun..." You called silently, eyes fixated on your work as he turned his attention to you. "About this." You pointed out the problem not even. "The negative value of x should be-" Your voice drowned the thoughts in his head as looked at you trying to explain your problem.

He's never seen a person looking so troubled about a simple issue. Adorable in his words might it be. He looked at you softly, seemingly ignoring everything you've just said. Honestly, ignoring everything around him. He may have even forgotten himself.

"Tetta-kun? Kisaki?" You called, snapping him out of his gaze as he shot back to reality. "Sorry, sorry, here I'll check it." He took the paper gently from your hands as he examined it.

What was that exactly? What was that reaction he felt, when he dazed his imagination drifting to you? Might that have been what they call... love? No, it couldn't have been, that's just impossible.

"That's not really- Nevermind." You stopped yourself from correcting him as he looked focused on reviewing your work. "You got it right." He said confusedly. Maybe it was because he didn't know why you needed him to check on it. In all honesty, you didn't need him to check it, you needed him to explain how you got it.

"You know what! I'm done tutoring you!" Fumiko fumed as she packed her things aggressively. "Alright." Ahane agreed nonchalantly. "Y/n, let's go!" She announced. You packed your things tiredly as you woke up Naoto as well, gently nudging him and talking softly as you packed his things.

The sight of you gently treating another guy was a soreful sight to Kisaki. He clearly likes someone else, why would he feel bothered about you? But then, why did he start feeling this? When did he start feeling this?

Was it when he met you, when you made sure to repay him which made you rather interesting to him? Was it when he saw you alone in the park seemingly stressed out? What made him start to feel this?

It was rather confusing to the boy. And new.

"Bye!" Fumiko declared angrily. "Bye." You waved gently, Naoto standed next to you tiredly.

Looking at you seemed to lighten his load as he stared at your slowly distancing figure. Boy, he might even change his mind about the upcoming Valhalla fight.

Emphasis on 'Might'.