Chapter 24

Not edited.

Misty stood in the shadows of the trees watching the crowd as their numbers started to build. Within minutes she would see the beautiful girl she'd given birth to and tragically given away without a choice.

She'd watched over her every day of her life and the time she spent away haf been no different. In the mystical waters she watched Janella live the life she deserved to live.

She watched as Janella lived her life with Sam and the love they had for their beautiful Alex. Her Grandson. A love she was unable to claim. It wasn't time.

"We made a mistake."

Her body stiffened at the sound of his voice, deep and full of years of hurt. She nodded.

"I believe we did."

"We should have raised her ourselves and not let her live in the mortal world."

Misty's eyes welled with tears as she kept watch over the crowd.

"We weren't given a choice."

"We should have fought it!" His voice snarled out with his pain.

"They hurt her." Misty whispered.

"They don't deserve her."

What could she say? She agreed with him completely. They, the mortals, didn't deserve to know someone as beautiful as Janella.

His hands fell to her shoulders and years of separation melted away as the bond they once shared was reignited.

"Thor..." she whimpered.

"Shhhhh"  his arms moved around her and pulled her into him as his face buried into her neck "I'm sorry. So very sorry."

"You hurt me Thor." Her voice full of painful emotions.

"I know. I wish... I... I was so angry that we didn't fight it. We handed over our daughter and by the Gods, I missed her. Hours old and I already missed her" he broke off with a shudder.

"I missed her too." Misty replied with a choke.

"I know" he held her closer "I'm sorry. I was so wrapped up in my own pain I took it out on you. I hurt you my love and I'll regret that for the rest of my immortal life."

"What can we do Thor? The Fates..." she wasn't ready to acknowledge his sorrow after everything he did.

"Baaaaah! Damn the Fates. We protect our daughter! These mortals are cruel creatures who think only of themselves and not of others."

"There are a few..."

Thor nodded as his head turned to the sound of cars coming along the drive.

"Like those with her now. Those are the ones I will be eternally grateful to."

"They're beautiful people" Misty agreed.

"I think the young girl, Stacy..."

Misty turned in his arms quickly and met those eyes she knew so well. Those eyes that spoke every emotion available to both man and God.

"You watched her?"

He looked down at her lovingly and nodded.

"I watched her and you both. I was never far away from either of you."

Misty's expression was one of disbelief.

"Why?"

He sighed while slowly shaking his head.

"Family my love. You, our daughter and our Grandson. Loving one another. Thats why."

Misty, for the first time since she took up the position of Moon Goddess, was speechless. This man, this God, whom she'd felt for many years to be evil and unable to care for anyone was laying out his heart, offering his love.

"Shhhh" he turned her to face the crowd once more "the time for talk isn't now. Our family has arrived."