Chapter 11

Not edited. I don't know about you lot but I get all gooey when Sander calls her "Little One". A major bombshell will be revealed in this chapter.

Joggers went past them as they walked hand in hand along the harbour shore. The sounds of the city that never slept echoed throughout the night. Fishermen nodded to acknowledge them while they walked silently together. It seemed like they were never going to speak until he led her from the pavement up onto the grass where a garden chair stood waiting.

"Little one," His voice soft. "I know you have many questions and I promise in time you'll know everything but for now I'll tell you about your wolf."

Nellie smiled sadly "Please, it's killing me not to have her. I feel like I betrayed her."

"No, you didn't betray her. You did what you had to do and she's enjoyed the quiet time she needed to heal just as you did."

"You talk with her?"

"Often" he smiled wolfishly "she's an amazing she-wolf."

Nellie started to laugh and nudged his shoulder with hers "Have you got a crush on Chrissy?

"No. I'm in love." Pride radiated from his face and through his voice.

Nellie looked down to the ground, her thoughts wistful. Through her betrayal Chrissy lost not one but two mates.

"I'm sorry Sander. You can't see Chrissy and it's all my fault..."

"Don't you dare!" Sander snapped at her making her jump. "I told you that you didn't do anything wrong and you didn't. Your poor excuse of a first mate pushed you too far." Words spat from his mouth as he recalled Cam, his hatred for him evident. "I will see Chrissy again. As I said, she's waiting patiently."

Silence fell between the two. Emotions were running through them both as they fought to find the words that would come next.

"Sander... how do I get Chrissy back?" she asked timidly.

"Chrissy never left you."

"What? How?" She swirled around to face him directly waiting in anticipation.

"The night before the full moon you met Cam and Chrissy and Cray spent their final moments together."

"I felt so sad for them. I almost didn't..."

"You were meant to do what you did Nellie. It was your destiny.... and mine."

"I understand that you're my second chance mate..."

"No Nellie. I'm not. I am and always will be your true mate."

Nellie was in shock. Thoughts ran through her mind and opening her mouth the only word she could find was "How?"

"Cameron was never your true mate Janella. Holly was never Ethan's"

His words came down like a tonne of bricks as they registered in her mind. She jumped up and started pacing before him. Trying to make sense of what he was saying.

"How... why?"

"You are destined for greatness Janella. It is my destiny to be by your side."

"But Holly... Cam.... "

He indicated the empty seat beside him "Please, sit down Janella. I will explain what I can."

"I can't sit Sander, I..."

He stood and went to her. Taking her clenched fists in his own hands he rubbed them slowly to take away the painful grip they had.

"Little one, I know this is confusing. Perhaps it's to soon to explain..."

"NO! You have to tell me!" She pleaded with him as he sighed.

"Very well. As a child you and Cameron were inseparable. Your love for each other grew daily. A decision was made based on that love for you to become mates. The future at that point seemed clear; he loved you, he protected you, he stood by your side. In everything that he did he did it for you and you for him. It seemed to be the best outcome for everyone."

"But Holly... Ethan...."

"Holly was an amazing woman. She was given a choice and can I say Ethan's good looks certainly helped. She made the decision to become Ethan's mate until..."

"Until what?" Nellie wasn't sure she really wanted the answer but felt she needed it to comprehend exactly what was happening.

"Until, she was no longer needed."

She pulled away from him in horror and took a step backwards. "No... no... it's my fault that Holly..."

"Janella please, try to understand..." he reached out for her as she stepped back again.

"Understand what? That because of me a beautiful woman died? How is that right?" She snapped at him. "What about her daughter? What about Hannah? She needed her mother, she needs her mother. It's my fault. All of Ethan and Hannah's pain is all my fault!"

"This was the way it was meant to be..."

"Meant to be? meant to be?" she screeched 'how is depriving a child the love of her mother meant to be?"

"Janella..."

She shook her head fiercely. "Don't. Don't tell me that it'll be ok. Don't tell me that Hannah will be ok with this. Don't tell me that this is destiny. Tell me why Holly would choose this? Why would she accept that she would never see her child grow up?"

"Will you please let me talk?" he spoke gravely.

'What?" Her voice snapped harshly with a growl.

"Don't growl at me Janella! Sit down and I'll explain." His wolf instincts fought against the deliberate challenge to his authority.

"No. Just tell me why? Why did she accept this?' She begged for an answer but felt it was all but futile.

"So that you can fulfill your destiny.'

"What is my destiny then Sander? What could be so damn important that a little girl grows up without her mother?"

"I can't tell you that..."

"AAAHHH! Why do you keep saying that? Why do you keep saying that it isn't time?" She moved to the chair and sat down dejectedly. "Please," she whispered "please help me to understand."

Sander knelt down on the ground before her and took her face in his hands. He sadly wiped the tears from her face. "It isn't my story to tell Nellie. When I'm permitted I will tell you but right now I'm bound by oath not to say anything."

Her shoulders slumped. "There's really no way you can tell me why?" Her question more of a statement than a question.

"No little one, I'm sorry. No way at all." Shaking his head, he almost wished he could.

She looked into his eyes. "Can you tell me anything about Holly?"

He nodded. "As you know, Hannah speaks often about her mother. She sees her. her mother is still with her."

"How?" None of this was making sense. She more questions than answers.

"Holly is not in this world as we see it. She is, however, still very much alive in another."

"What?"

"Holly is a Goddess."