Chapter 27

Not edited.

Janella watched as Paul extended his hand in a beckoning action to have her follow him. She was surprised to see just how different his whole personna was. It was like he'd worked out that he was in the presence of royalty and realised he'd been an idiot in how he'd handled the whole situation that led to her leaving. Perhaps he was but she had no idea what it meant for her and her family. She'd come back thinking all she would be dealing with was the haunting memories of the past. Instead she was dealing with something she never imagined.

The explanation Cam had given confused her but she at least understood the strength that poured from Sander now even if she was still struggling to know herself.

Her mother wasn't her mother? In her eyes she was. Her mother and father had raised her with love and a devotion to her wellbeing. It still hurt to know they'd kept such a massive secret from her. Why did her real parents abandon her?

She turned from Paul and went to her mother. Both had tears in their eyes as did many others. Janella wrapped her arms around Marjorie and instantly felt at home as loving arms held her close.

"I still have questions but I don't hate you."

Ethan stood by patiently, still reeling in his own discovery of the importance of his wolf to the werewolf community. Seconds turned into minutes as he waited for his mate to return to his side.

He could feel Sander's need to be with his mate and their children. His over protectiveness was making him antsy and in turn Ethan's own patience was tested.

Janella turned to him with tears still fresh in her eyes and he felt a lump in his throat. She had no idea or belief in her beauty but he did. He saw the radiant beauty she denied. He took a step closer and wrapped his arms around her.

"Together baby.'

Her body slumped into his warmth and immediately Ethan could feel Sander calming as they held her close, protecting her, loving her.

"Alpha Janella?"

A gasp from the mouths of many was quickly followed by silence as they all waited for the anvil to fall. How would Janella reply to the older woman's query?

"Oh... I'm not..." she stood straight but Ethan held her by the waist.

"Oh" the woman looked confused briefly before her eyes bulged and she slapped her hands to her cheeks before looking towards Paul "Oh!"

Paul drew in a breath and turned to Janella who was looking from the woman to him and back again.

"Janella." He cleared his throat. "When... before... Cameron isn't my heir anymore."

"He's not?" Nellie gasped.

"No," Paul shook his head sadly "after the way he treated you I was given no option but to choose another to succeed me as the Alpha to the Crescent Reed Pack. My choice Janella..." he paused to look directly in her eyes "my choice was you."

"No" the word screamed in her mind as her voice was barely audible to even those who stood the closest to her.

"JANELLA!"

She heard his voice barely as a roaring silence filled her ears, taking over from the outside world. Her eyes closed as her legs no longer held the strength of moments ago and she slipped towards the ground below completely unaware of the two arms that held her close.

A soft light beckoned her as she fought the silence. A warmth like no other she'd felt before engulfed her and she found herself drawing closer to the light.

"It'll be ok." The words seemed so real!

What seemed like days to her as she drew closer to the light was mere seconds to those who called her name. Voices she didn't hear.

"Chrissy?" She could feel the tears that fell as she saw the beautiful wolf standing before her. "What? How?"

"Hello Janella. I've come home too."

Janella grabbed hold of Chrissy and with the wolf's head tucked into the side of her head she held tight as over and over again she whispered "I'm sorry."

"Nellie... sweet Nellie. You have nothing to be sorry for. This was supposed to happen. Today begins your new life in the pack. A life that won't hurt as the past one has. Today you will stand as the next Alpha of the Crescent Reed Pack and you can stand proud and tall. It takes much strength to let go of those you love to make a life for yourself. Yes, it hurt to be separated from you but it was meant to be. You needed to be with Sam to understand your worth. You are worth loving Nellie. You are stronger than you believe. You, Nellie, are exactly who you need to be. The dark times can't hurt you anymore. You are Janella Freemoon Holden and you are about to make history."

"I don't..."

"You have a destiny in life. While you weren't able to control your beginning you and you alone took charge and now your life is your own. You made the choice to live Janella. You earned your place in this world. It takes strength and courage to live through what you have and even when you felt like there was no way forward you found it. You are far more important than you ever realised."

"Because I'm the new Alpha?"

"No." Chrissy pulled away from Janella and stood tall "Because you're you."

Her eyes fluttered open and she heard the rapid beating of a heart beneath her ear. Soft words encouraging her to wake up were being whispered. Words of love, hope and promises were being said.

"Ethan"

His body moved quickly to keep supporting her as his concerned filled eyes looked at her.

"Oh God Nellie! That..."

"Shhhh" she raised a hand and gently covered his mouth "I'm ok." She grinned suddenly and Ethan's eyebrows rose in question to the smile. "I'm better than ok Ethan."

She moved to sit up properly and with her hands still in engulfed of Ethan's grasp she said the words she never believed she would ever get the chance to say. Years of tears and aching pain left her as she spoke.

"Chrissy's home."