열일곱

Just as they stepped inside the house, Hyeri smacked into someone's chest and reeled backwards into Seonghwa.

He grunted, taking her weight as she squeaked in surprise.

"Woah," said a familiar voice, and Seonghwa glanced up into Hyunjin's face.

"Sorry about – oh, Seonghwa!"

Hyeri found her feet again and Seonghwa grinned up at the taller boy.

"Hey, Hyunjin. I didn't know you'd be here."

"Same for you, man."

Hyunjin lifted his cup to his mouth, taking a quick drink and nodding as Seonghwa introduced Hyeri.

She treated Hyunjin to a bright smile, which he returned a little more cautiously, before turning back to Seonghwa.

"Hey, are you looking for Jackson? Cause I think he's-"

"Jackson's here?" interrupted Seonghwa, raising his eyebrows.

Hyunjin nodded, and Seonghwa said, "Oh."

"Who?" asked Hyeri, as Hyunjin helpfully elaborated, "He's somewhere round here, dunno."

He glanced at Hyeri before shrugging loosely, the liquid in his cup almost sloshing over the rim.

"Good luck finding him."

"Thanks, Hyunjin."

For a second, Seonghwa entertained the idea – but he knew that Jackson wasn't the one he wanted.

He hadn't even spoken to the older boy since the last party they'd been at together...

Well, maybe he should check in with Jackson.

Just to see how he was.

As Hyunjin separated from them and continued down the hall, Hyeri unashamedly turned to watch him leave.

"Now, who was that," she purred, lips curling into a smirk, despite the fact that Seonghwa had literally just told her his name during their conversation.

"And why didn't you introduce us earlier?"

Yikes.

Seonghwa patted her sympathetically on the shoulder and said, "He's taken, Hyeri."

Her face fell.

"Shit." It was hard not to laugh as Hyeri pouted after Hyunjin's disappearing back, before spinning on her heel and determinedly grasping Seonghwa's hand again.

"Whatever," she said dismissively.

"Let's just dance already."

Only a few minutes later, Hyeri had managed to find her friend in the crowd and drag all three of them to the center of the dance floor in the next room.