Chapter 2

Chapter Two 

Hashira Application 

With wide eyes, he glanced at me. I grinned, knowing I'd gotten the reaction I was hoping for. When he's surprised, he looks so amusing. Haha.

I gave him a sly grin. He was going to say something, but he restrained himself. He muttered a silent curse and returned his gaze to the nearby window.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mister Tomioka." I said trying to stifle my grin. He just ignored me.

"Hello, Kanae's sister." A tall guy sat at Mitsuri's chair, which was beside me.

I looked at him, oh, I know this guy, he was the same age as my sister, but he took a break from studying since— as what I have heard from my sister— he had to take care of children back from his village for two years.

"Good morning, mister Himejima." I politely said.

"You've grown, but not tall." Another guy approached us, smirking. "Oh, uhm, Sanemi, Sanemi Shinazugawa. I know you, from Kanae. How is she by the way?" He asked.

"She's doing quite well at the university." I said.

"We're from the other section." Himejima told me. I nodded. He then looked behind me, "Oh, I see you are here Tomioka."

Tomioka just took a glance at us for a few seconds.

"Quiet as ever," Sanemi said.

"He's just pondering of what I told him earlier." I said smirking. When I noticed him looking at me, I grinned.

"What could that be? That must be so important that it got the great quiet Tomioka thinking." Sanemi said.

"Oh, hi Sanemi and Gyomei." Mitsuri appeared behind Sanemi. Gyomei then stood up so Mitsuri can sit down at her seat. The room was then filled with silence as soon as our instructor entered the room. Sanemi at Gyomei then exit the room.

"Good afternoon, class. Today we will be opening our Student Council admissions."

Mitsuri nudged my elbow, making me look at her. She grinned sheepishly.

I chuckled then looked at my back, "Tomioka-san, you'll join this year?" I asked.

"Of course." He just said, I was surprised that he responded to me. I raised my brow at him.

"Oh, it seems like you found your tongue this time?" I teased. He looked at me with confused eyes.

He really looks amusing.

In order to join the council, students must follow certain criteria and norms, which were laid forth by the instructor. Several of them were familiar to me because my sister was a Hashira.

"To those who are interested, please fill up these papers. I will be getting these by the end of your classes." He said then left the classroom.

Rengoku handed me a pile of papers, I muttered a thanks and passed the papers behind me after getting mine.

Giyu grabbed the papers and passed it behind him as well without even looking at me.

So, the thing is, there will be only nine Hashiras. The chosen ones. My sister was eager that I should become a part of it so I can replace her empty slot. I'm not confident though that people would vote for me. Although a lot of the students here recognize me.

"Mhmm... Tomioka-san, who are you going to vote for later." I asked him.

"Why? Are you interested?" He asked me. He looked at me this time. I leaned closer to him; he was shocked at the move I made.

"Maybe?" I teased. "I bet you vote yourself."

"No, you can't do that, Kocho." He said. I laughed.

"I know, I'm just teasing you, stop being so uptight, will ya?" I said trying to hold my giggle.

He ignored me again. Very Giyu Tomioka. We just met today but he seems so fun to be with. Or I'm just the one having fun. Haha.

The simple introduction ended and now we have to submit our applications.

"Kanae, hey Kanae, why are you here? I thought you graduated?" A guy with a yellow hair approached me.

I smiled at him, "Uhm? Me?" I asked politely.

"Why did you cut your hair? And you became shorter, Kanae-san." He asked. I looked back at him and he looked surprised at me. I can see him blushing.

"No, uh, I am not my sister." I said giggling.

He is still frozen as ice.

"Uhm, hello, mister?" I asked, who the hell is this?

"D-Douma..." He said, offering his shaking hand. He looked surprised at me. Is he well?

"I'm Kocho Shinobu, Kanae's sister." I accepted his hand. He looked at our hands holding.

"I didn't know Kanae had a really pretty sister." He said still looking at my eyes. I chuckled at his compliment.

"I'm about to pass my application, are you coming with me?" I asked.

He shook his head, "No, uhm, I'm just here to visit. I graduated last year." He said. I nodded.

"Well, then, bye." I said. He nodded. I waved my hand.

As I was walking towards the council room, I saw Tomioka eating a salmon wrap from the cafeteria. I approached him grinning.

"Oh, hello, Tomioka-san." I said. He glanced at me and nodded. "Are you heading towards the council room?" I asked.

He nodded again. Wow, this guy! This makes me want to break his neck. He just keeps on nodding.

Kidding!

I asked him. Trying to start a conversation.

Wish me luck.

He shook his head.

"Oh, why, Tomioka-san?" I asked him.

"Is this an essay?" He asked.

I laughed at his response. His rude and witty retorts never cease to amuse me.

"I just want to know." I told him. "I mean, as a new student and an aspiring Hashira, I would love to know your thoughts."

"Why don't you ask Karonji? She was also a Hashira."

"But you're here and I want to ask you, Tomioka-san." I said.

"Uhh, there is a big responsibility on your hands." He responded.

"Is it heavy?" I asked

"The?"

"The responsibility."

"I don't know, I didn't weigh it." He said sarcastically.

Wow.

Just wow, this guy knows how to joke around?

I slowly clapped my hands, "Where did those jokes came from, Tomioka-san?" I asked.

"From my mouth, Kocho."

My laughter could be heard throughout the corridor. I caught up to Giyu because he seemed to be walking faster.

"Shinobu!!" I heard Mitsuri's voice at the end of the hallway. I waved at her. "Oh, you are with Tomioka-san?" she asked.

I nodded at her, but I heard Tomioka murmur,

"Isn't it obvious?" he whispered. I nudged my elbow at him. He looked away.

"You're rude..." I whispered at him.

"Says the girl who nudged her elbow at me, for no apparent reason." He whispered back.

Wow this is new, he is talkative!

I smiled sweetly at him before leaving him and going to Mitsuri.