Chapter 1

Chapter One

Kochou Shinobu

"Kocho Shinobu," I introduced myself. It was the first day of school. "And I am very passionate towards animals. Insect to be exact." I kept my introduction to a bare minimum.

I looked around the classroom, hoping to recognize someone I'd seen before.

But oh well, none.

I curtsied and went towards my chair which was beside a girl with pink hair.

"Rengoku Kyojuro," The guy with a really eye-catching hair in front of me introduced. I was taken aback by his enthusiastic demeanor. I nodded calmly. "I see you are new here." He said.

"Yeah." I smiled at him.

"Uhm, the name is Tomioka Giyu. I am from the countryside, then moved in here." The man in front of us introduced himself, and he appeared to be quite shy. After presenting himself, he bowed and returned to his seat behind me.

"Hello, I am Shinobu, and you are?" I struck up a conversation with the girl sitting next to me. Oh, and I need friends here too.

"Hi." I can literally see her eyes sparkling. "You look so lovely." She said. "I am Karonji Mitsuri." She handed me her hand.

I accepted it, "So where are you from, Mitsuri." I asked her.

She leaned towards me and smiled, "I'm from a village in north, but I am currently staying at a dorm nearby the university." She shared. I nodded at her. She seems really friendly and outgoing.

I then turned back to the guy sitting behind me, "I'm Shinobu." I introduced, handing him my hand. There was nothing more than a blank stare from him.

"Uh, yeah, I know," He awkwardly said, not even accepting my hand. The nerve of this guy!

I simply smiled politely at him, retracted my hand, and returned my gaze to the front.

"That's Tomioka. He is not really friendly. I apologize." Mitsuri whispered but I bet Tomioka heard it since I noticed him peek at us. I stared at him again, our eyes met a few seconds before he broke it off and looked back at the window.

"I don't really feel the need to introduce since you guys have already heard me say my name earlier, and I also heard your introduction so that's that." He suddenly spoke without even looking at us. "And I see you are new... Uh, Kanae's sister?" He asked, then glanced at me for a few seconds before ripping it away by the time I returned his gaze.

"I see that you know my sister?" I asked.

"Everyone does." He said, almost cutting me off. I can really say he is awkward and I think, rude? Damn.

"I think you should loosen up, mister." I teased. I could tell he was blushing as he glanced at me. Probably a bit embarrassed. After that, he simply ignored me.

He looks funny, no lie.

The first day flew smoothly. I talked to Mitsuri the whole break.

"Wow, I can't believe I finally met Kanae's sister." Mitsuri said, her eyes twinkling. "Are you going to follow your sister's footsteps? We will be having an election this month for this year's council. Do you want to be at least be a member of it? The Hashiras?"

"Yeah, my sister forced me into joining it. I don't mind anyways."

"Wahh, yay!"

"Why are they called Hashiras anyways?" I asked her.

"They are the pillars of the school, making orders, keeping the peace at school. They hold the institution in place." She said. I nodded at her. "It takes guts to become one. And once you are one, you have to hold on to the oath you swore."

"Excuse me," Tomioka appeared in between us. We are currently standing at the doorway since we just came from the cafeteria.

I moved away so he can pass. He walked away and once he was back at his seat. I stared at him, he looked back, when he realized I was staring, he looked away.

"Is he really that uptight?" I asked Mitsuri.

"Hmm? Who? Tomioka?" She asked, I nodded, "Oh yeah, he just dislikes conversations."

"Ohh."

"But you know, he is a Hashira." She said, my eyes widened.

"Wait, for real?"

"Mhmm..." Mitsuri nodded.

"Oh wow. That's unexpected. I bet people dislike him." I giggled at the thought. Mitsuri chuckled.

Before Mitsuri can say something, a guy with a mask approached us, covering half of his face.

"Kanroji," he calmly said, "Uhm... I want to give this to you." He said shyly. I could see a tint of pink from his cheeks.

"Oh, hi, Iguro." Mitsuri smiled at him. Mitsuri's slightly taller than the guy, but I'm shorter.

I'm really short.

"Miss Mitsuri, Mister Urokodaki was looking for you." A short guy with a really soft voice tapped Mitsuri's shoulder.

"Okie, bye Shinobu, bye Iguro." Mitsuri walked away, leaving me with Iguro, and a small guy.

"Damn, you are so slow, Iguro!" We were approached once more by the muscular young man with a dashing demeanor.

"Shut up, Uzui!"

"You should be like me! I'm not slow with girls!" He exclaimed, laughing. Iguro gave him a sidelong glance. I entered the room and left the three men there.

"So I have heard you are a Hashira." I turned my back and talked to Tomioka.

He was taken aback when I spoke to him.

"Yes." He simply said.

"So how is it?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Normal... I suppose."

"You know what? You can talk more." I told him calmly.

"I refuse to."

"Oh, wow, you are rude ish."

"That's what they often said," He replied.

"I bet people don't even like you."