Chapter 14- We're Human

"You know, I never really found out what your company does," I said, picking up Jonathan's snow globe and starting to playing with it.

It's been two days since my embarrassing meeting of Jonathan's father and two days since he 'hired' me. We agreed I'd start working on Monday, which was unfortunately tomorrow.

"Well," He began, "Stiller Incorporated is the name of the company."

"And grass is green, and birds chirp," I rolled my eyes, "Tell me something I don't know please."

"All you really need to know is we help people." He shrugged and continued typing away on his computer.

"You make millions of dollars just by helping people?" I raised my eyebrow. He was dumbing this down way too much for my liking.

Was this some type of illegal shit he wants to get me involved in?

"We make billions just by helping people and it's all legal."

I pushed myself farther up on his desk and leaned my cheek against my shoulder. All I needed was enough money so I could pay off the damages of my old apartment, find a new apartment, and maybe a new job.

Truthfully, I don't want to move out of here. It was just so...nice. I didn't have to make sure all five locks on my door were secured before I went to bed. I didn't have to worry that every time somebody knocked on the door they were trying to rob me.

I felt safe here. And it wasn't because of all the security─it was because of one suit-loving, blue eyed CEO.

"Jonathan," I whispered and he looked up at me. "Thank you."

He smiled, "For what? I didn't do anything."

"You've done more for me than you realize."

And it was true. Nobody's looked out for me as much as he has since my parents have been gone.

My parents...

My stomach lurched at just the thought of them. Would my life be any different if they were still alive? Would I be better off?

Stop thinking about them. Don't go down this road Liv.

And I had to listen because if I didn't, I'd land myself right back at those dreaded alcoholic anonymous meetings.

"Liv!"

"Huh?"

"Did you hear a word I said?" He laughed.

"I'm sorry..."

"What's wrong?" He queried. I looked over at him briefly and turned back without answering. "Come here." He rolled his chair over to me and grabbed my hands in his. "Tell me what's wrong."

"It's nothing," I urged, "I'm just feeling a little under the weather."

"Bullshit," He blurted out, "You're not sick. When you get sick you always push your hair back and wear socks and a sweatshirt."

What? How did he...?

"I notice the little things you do." He shrugged, fanning it off like it was nothing. I don't know why my heart was beating out of my chest at him realizing something as small as what I do when I'm sick.

"I-I..." I stuttered, still taken aback.

"Come here," He repeated, but this time I complied. I sat down sideways on his lap and wrapped my arms around his lower body.

Instead of saying anything, we sat there in silence for God knows how long. Not to sound selfish, I sat and thought about myself for the majority of it. I thought about my past mostly. Everything I've been through slowly made me build up walls sky-high.