Chapter 17- Anniversary

I pulled into an empty parking space in front of the damaged building and turned the car off. I slid my feet in my heels and stepped out the car.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of when my apartment bathroom burned how I looked like an absolute mess walking down the streets until Jonathan forced me to get in his car.

That seemed so long ago...

Jonathan...oh boy, I was getting an earful when I got home.

I pulled open the big, red doors and made my way into the building. All at once, the smell of drugs and alcohol hit my nose like a truck. I cringed, suddenly becoming nauseous.

"Hey there pretty thing," Somebody called from behind me, "Did you sit in a pile of sugar because you have one sweet ass!"

I turned around and saw Jacob, a guy I used to hang with often in my partying days. He lived next door to Dontae, meaning he always used to be over at his house.

"Holy shit!" He yelled, slapping his forehead, "Liv! I haven't seen you in years!"

"Does Dontae still live here?" I asked, not really wanting to had a chat about the good old days.

"Where else would he go?" He laughed, which turned into a cough, which then turned into him gasping for air.

"Is he still in the same apartment?"

He nodded even though he was turning red, still gasping.

Without another word, I headed towards the elevator. After I got in, I pressed my desired floor and heard the old machine screech to life.

I bet half the people that lived here when I did are still here. It's saddening to see how many of them didn't care enough to put down the drugs and pick up a book like I did.

As I reached my hand up to knock on my ex-boyfriend's door, I took a deep breath. I had no idea where this conversation was going to go but I was praying it didn't end up in an argument.

I knew what always followed those.

I knocked softly on the door three times and waited patiently for it to be opened. After a few moments of standing there, I turned around to leave.

"Liv Williams," I heard the familiar voice say behind me.

When I looked down the hallway, I saw the devil's spawn himself standing there, sporting his signature smirk with a blunt between his fingers.

"Dontae Gates, you son of a bitch!" I growled out.

"Well, it's nice to see you too after all these years," He rolled his eyes and passed me to his apartment door. He pushed it open and waited for me to walk in before he closed it. "So, how are you you doing, my beloved?"

I cringed at the pet name he used to call me when we dated. "First of all, don't call me that. And second, who the fuck do you think you are showing up out of the blue looking for me?"

"Well, my beloved, I believe I am Dontae Gates," He plopped down on his couch, "Which means that I technically can go looking for what belongs to me."

"I'm not a possession, you asshole," I spat, "I don't belong to anyone."

"You were mine not so long ago." He pointed his finger at me with a laugh and I rolled my eyes.

As I looked around, I remember all the things that went down in this tiny, one bedroom apartment not long ago. My stomach clenched at all the memories that were made here, and how the majority of them were not the best.