epilogue (switching povs)

Nina (two years later, winter)

//a/n: if y'all can't tell, i love to write anything set in the winter//

"Oaf, get up," Nina said, pulling away from his sleeping embrace.

"No." Matthias grumbled, pulling Nina back.

"C'mon, it's nearly 11 in the morning."

Matthias sighed, getting up. 

She and Matthias had discussed the next step of their relationship, and he was taking too long for her to wait any longer. Instead, she took matters into her own hands. Late in the afternoon, she and Matthias went outside in the snow.

"I'll be right back, stay here." Nina said, heading back into the Slat before reappearing minutes later, "Close your eyes!"

"Love, what are you doing?" Matthias questioned, but nevertheless closed his eyes.

Soon, Matthias was met with a small animal- maybe a dog?- jumping on him.

"You can open them!" Nina grinned.

Matthias saw a husky puppy in front of him, who was jumping on his legs.

"He's yours. I didn't want to get a wolf, as it's a bit hard to legally adopt one... anyways, check his collar."

Matthias checked the dog's collar, finding a piece of paper strung onto the collar. He untied the string that held it in place. The paper had a simple four words on it, 'Will you marry me?'

Nina stepped closer to Matthias. "Well?"

"Yes, love, I will. But, quick question..." Matthias pulled a box from his pocket, "Will you marry me?"

Nina laughed, "How long have you had that?"

"A few months."

"I proposed cause you were taking too long!" Nina jokingly took on an offended tone.

Matthias smiled, "I was waiting for the right moment."

Nina smiled back before stepping even closer, kissing him. The dog sat right on Matthias' feet, deciding it an appropriate place to fall asleep.

~~~

Kaz (late Jan, a month after the previous part)

Kaz impatiently tapped his foot, checking his watch every five seconds. Where was she? He'd told her to meet him up here on the roof at midnight, it was now 12:01. She was never late. All the awful possibilities flooded his mind but were interrupted when he saw Inej out of the corner of his eye.

"What business?" She smiled, walking over to him.

He handed her a paper, along with a pen.

She narrowed her eyes at him in confusion, but she took the paper, reading it over, before doing so once more. She looked up at Kaz, who was avoiding eye contact, "Kaz, are you being serious about this?"

"Do I tend to be one to joke?" Kaz raised an eyebrow.

"You don't." Inej read the paper over again, before signing the bottom. "Yes, Kaz, of course, I'll marry you. I love you with all my heart." Inej smiled, wiping away a stray tear.

Kaz hugged her, not wanting her to see the tears he was shedding at the moment. "I love you so much," Kaz replied, kissing her on the head.

~~~

third-person

In the end, the crows all moved into their own homes. Nina and Matthias had twins, a boy, and a girl, as well as another boy, who was two years younger than the others. They'd also gotten another dog in addition to the one Nina gave to Matthias.

Wylan and Jesper did adopt one kid, a 12-year-old girl who had a particular interest in weapons, an interesting (yet fitting) child for them to have adopted.

Kaz and Inej adopted two kids; a sibling pair of a boy and a girl, who were both in similar situations to what Kaz had experienced. These children were younger, both age 4, and Kaz wanted to give them the best future he could, and would fight to the death for them.