9- Baking Again

This chapter is dedicated to the best commenter who is.... @XxSexGodStylesxX (LOL YOUR NAME) but anyways, thanks so much for your comment! It definetely means a lot to me, and everyone does need ice cream! I hope you enjoy the rest! <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-2 weeks later-

"Here, Emily," Niall wheezed. He helped me out of my wheel chair and handed me my crutches. I stood up slowly, but stumbled a bit anyways. "Thanks," I told him, laughing. The morning air was cool, and it felt good to finally be out of the hospital. "Where you wanna go for lunch?" I limped out of the lobby, thinking. "Well, I was kinda hoping..." He grinned. "The bakery?" I nodded. He took my hand and walked with me to the parking lot. "Ms. Barnett was going crazy," he said. "She said that the whole place felt empty." God, it would be great to see her again. Maybe I wouldn't feel the same bubbling energy we usually shared, but at least her toothy grin would cheer me up.

A flash of red streaked past. Cars. "Hey, it's okay," Niall said, squinting into the afternoon sun. I heard tires squeal. An engine started to my left. I gripped Niall's hand and closed my eyes, hoping some how that would sheild me from the heavy metal beast that could've took my life. We got to his little car, and I got in, hesitantly. I could hear the shattering glass again- the crunching. I held my breath and lifted my leg into the car.

We drove for a few minutes, past the wretched hospital building and sneering ambulances. The roads were surprisingly quiet  for a Sunday afternoon. Niall looked tired, like he hasn't slept. Probably hasn't for a while. "I'm sorry," I said facing my door. "Nothing to be sorry about, Ems," he answered. "You look horrible," I laughed. "You don't look like a superstar yourself," he replied, smiling. I hit him with all my force, which was equivelant to a feather dropping. "Owww," he joked.

The bakery came into view. I got out of the car and gasped, almost laughing. "What happened?" The windows were dripping in dirt and dust, and the signs on the door were un even, not to mention all the flowers were dead! It looked like a dump! I hobbled over to the door and went in, Niall chasing after me. Ms. Barnett looked up from the cash register. "Oh, Emily! Thank goodness!" She grasped her cane. The cane showed no signs of help. She cursed and threw the cane down. "I'm just glad you're back!" She hugged me, and smelled strongly of cinnamon.

"The kitchen, it hasn't been the same," she shook her head. I picked up a rag and scrubbed the counter. "No no no, dear, don't clean," Ms. Barnett protested. "Have a donut," she nodded towards a basket. "Thank you," I chuckled, hugging her in another warm embrace.