I Wish I Could Punch You in the Face

Warning: Scrolling down may result in sweaty palms, lightheadedness, overheating, and a loss of ovaries.

That is all. 

6.] I Wish I Could Punch You in the Face

Since Spill the Beans had been moved to the west coast, Milo and Cecilia have hosted the Summer Nights series of Spill the Beans. Every Thursday night, the talk show was moved to the beach where they set up a large stage. The beach was roped off, security guards in black shorts and their official blue shirts patrolling the borders to make sure that no one without the official lanyard looped around their necks got through. Off to the side of the stage, where Milo and Ci would be hosting the main part of the show, was a large pile of wood, just waiting until dark had fallen to be set ablaze. Logs formed a giant square around it, fairy lights hanging around to cast a whitish glow onto the sand. Coolers of soda and water were strategically placed throughout the blocked off area along with a long table sporting the featured artist’s merchandise.

It was the first Thursday of the summer and as usual, my mother hadn’t held back any stops. It was always surprising to me whenever she approved of one of the ideas that one of the people beneath her suggested. She wasn’t exactly “in touch” with the younger generation. With two daughters whose interests she confused on a daily interest, she really had no idea what Georgia and I would’ve liked to see on television.

However, this time around, my mother probably couldn’t have done a better job with the music selection. Instead of picking some struggling star who wouldn’t cost the show too much, she had gone all out. Ci was generally excited about interviewing people for the show, but when she told me who was going to be the first featured artist of their summer series, she just about passed out.

The ironic part of this was that he was one of her closest friends.

It was cute that Ci was still capable of being starstruck. She spent almost her entire time being surrounded by famous people, interviewing them for her talk show and not to mention hosting several of the award shows that sent Hollywood into a flurry of activity. People were constantly commenting on the fact that she fanned herself with her cue cards, especially whenever she was in the presence of a particularly attractive boy. Her facial expression always tended to be along the lines of her mouth in a solid ‘O’ and she also had moments when she seemed so mesmerized that she couldn’t form sentences.

It didn’t matter if it was unprofessional or not. The people who criticized Spill the Beans and the producers for picking Cecilia were just jealous of her unbelievably raw and charming personality. She was the everyday girl and the people who worked alongside my mother had immediately fallen for her. My mother was actually the one who approved of Ci. When the show was initially moved to Cali, they were talking of pulling some Disney star to co-host with Milo. When my mom was in New York with the casting crew, she had demanded that they reconsider Cecilia just for her overall relatable personality.

Two years later and Ci was more than comfortable in front of the camera. Though she still tended to get stars in her eyes whenever faced with some of the more famous people she interviewed, she was flawless. I figured that tonight would be no exception, even if the performer was the hottest boy that I had ever laid eyes on.

Sometimes it weirded me out to think of Sawyer Henning in that way. He had always been a dear friend and for a while, it had been me, Blaine, and Sawyer against the world. No one really knew what to make of the blonde-haired, blue-eyed transfer student from the east coast. Everyone at Jessamine Prep seemed to have a talent, but for the longest time, Sawyer struggled to find it. And when he did, he shot into stardom.

With his third album having just been released before Christmas, Sawyer was sitting comfortably at the top of the Billboard charts. It appeared that no one could touch him and I knew that it had a lot to do with the fact that he was probably the best looking guy to ever appear in the music business. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t just the fact that he looked like he had been hand-carved by God himself. It was because of the fact that Sawyer was a genuinely nice guy. Not to mention, his songs could melt the heart of a sour old man.