I Mighta, Sorta, Kinda Gave You the Clap

a/n: if you're wondering, this is where the prologue would happen.

44.] I Mighta, Sorta, Kinda Gave You the Clap

Sibling rivalry is apart of many familial relationships. I had always believed that I was lucky enough to not be one of those children who were constantly pitted against their older sibling in a sad attempt to prove to their parents that they were worth something. Though it was well known that Georgia was talented in many things from acting to schoolwork and holding her own, my parents had never made me feel as if I had to compete with Georgia’s 4.0 or her long list of extracurriculars. I had gone after many of the same things because of the fact that I looked up to Georgia.

I had always looked up to her. Even now, when I knew the truth about my sister and partially blamed her for what had happened, I had never thought we would find ourselves standing feet away, her glaring at me with that know-all expression on her face. She didn’t even seem surprised to find me bad-mouthing her, in fact, she looked a little smug, as if she expected this to happen.

“So, you blame me for all of the trouble you got into this summer?” Georgia had her arms crossed snugly over her chest. “And you think it started with the lipstick?”

It was only the beginning of a conversation that would most likely turn into an argument between us. I was already at a loss for words, not entirely sure how this was going to turn out. Or if this was going to be something that I added to my list of regrets.

“You think you’ve got it all figure out, don’t you, Ads?” Georgia shook her head and for the first time, I felt like I was looking at my sister. After years of watching her shimmy down that tree, to see the glint in her eye as she took off on another mysterious adventure in her fishnets and red lipstick, I thought I knew about all of her dirty laundry. What I didn’t realize, though, was that beneath that lipstick, beneath the lies, and beneath the seemingly flawless exterior of the oldest Mather’s sister, was someone I had never seen before. I only caught a glimpse of her, like in those movies about mutants when the person the hero trusted the most begins to show their true colors.

It was gone before I could make head or tail of what I saw. Whatever it was, a glint in her eye, the smirk, the way she was looking at me as if I was a piece of gum on the bottom of her thousand-dollar heels, was there only momentarily. When I tried to look closer, it was gone, and it was just Georgia looking at me once more.

“You’ve never made a mistake in your life up until this point.” She said, ignoring the fact that the moving men had stopped doing their job, watching as a showdown began to unfold. As Georgia talked, she began to pace, her expensive shoes clicking against the uneven cracked sidewalk. She looked at me, her brown curls gathered on one side of her head, bouncing against her bare collarbone. The smirk on her face didn’t falter, the glint in her eyes never disappeared, and the entire time she paced, the harder she smirked, the brighter the glint became. “You’ve had a perfect boyfriend, an amazing high school career, a job offer in a multimillion dollar company from our father, acceptance into an Ivy League, and basically an internship on a hit television talk show the past year. And now, what do you have left Adrienne? No boyfriend, just a junky boy with an admittedly impressive body, but not much to offer in the relationship department besides ultimate heartbreak and regret. You still have that great GPA and an impressive resume, but you don’t have your friends from high school anymore. I’m sure dad’s offer is still on the table, but you’re more than defiant to stay the hell away from that company. And I saw those brochures and acceptance envelopes in your desk. Hollowbrook, huh? Middle of nowhere private school on the opposite coast? How does daddy dearest feel about the fact that his favorite daughter doesn’t want to go to his alma mater? She doesn’t want to go for business, doesn’t want to be exactly like him. Has he called you a disappointment yet? And you can’t even document that internship with mom because you’re not the only one who knows your dirty little secret.”