forty six

It's dark outside when you arrive at the campsite. A smile blossoms on your face as Hotaru pulls into a lot. Even though you'll only be here for a little while, at least it'll be something fun before you go home.

When you step out of the RV, you realize that Saeko's car isn't there. Hotaru explains that she went out quickly to grab some things. In the meantime, you and Hotaru begin to set up a fire which the guys then place a bunch of chairs around and extend the overhang out.

As Hotaru lights the fire, Saeko's car pulls up beside the camper. She walks out with bags of food from a restaurant and holds them into the air.

"Who's hungry?!" she shouts happily.

Everybody follows her right inside where she lines up plates and plates of food in the kitchen. After lining up like you're at a buffet, you pull together a plateful of different things and walk back outside to sit by the fire.

"Hey," Bokuto hums as he sits down beside you, scooting his chair a bit closer.

"Hey," you grin back as you look at his towering plate of food. "Got enough food?"

Bokuto nods as he shows you the plate a bit closer. "If you want anything just grab it."

You thank him with a smile. Then, as everybody eats you laugh and have a blast. But eventually, the conversation of this being the last night comes up and the laughter that once filled the air completely evaporates.

You look down at your now empty plate. It's unbearably difficult for you to think about leaving Bokuto. You don't want to leave him, you're going to miss seeing him every day.

You look over at him after feeling his eyes burning down at you, but when you see his face, nothing but sadness is found in his eyes.

"Alright fine," Saeko sighs to interrupt the awkward silence. "Guess I'll share the end of my stash."

She then reaches into her pocket and pulls out a huge blunt. At the same time, Hotaru grins and pulls out a lighter. As Saeko takes the first hit, you're a bit taken back. You haven't smoked since college, only stopping because you didn't want to smell or get caught by your boss. However, you suppose that now is a perfect time. Besides, it would be nice to get your mind off of everything.

The group then begins to pass the blunt around in a circle. After Bokuto's turn, he passes it to you. As you hold it up to your lips, he holds out the lighter.

"Ready?" he asks, earning a nod from you before lighting the end of the blunt. You suck in the smoke only to end up coughing from the immediate intrusion on your lungs.

"Are you alright?" he asks as he grabs a bottle of water and extends it to you.

"Yeah, thanks," you cough as you pass the weed and the lighter to Kenma on your other side. You then thank Bokuto once more for the water before downing it like there's no tomorrow.

"You sure you're alright?"Kenma asks.

"I'm fine, don't worry," you sigh after quenching your thirst.

Hotaru chuckles at your reaction to smoking. "When's the last time you smoked?" she giggles.

"College. Is it that obvious?" you grin back.

"Man, you really have been doing nothing but work every day," she shakes her head.

"Yeah, unfortunately."

"Well, your idiot new boyfriend beside you isn't going to stand for that anymore. Good luck getting your work done at all after this trip," Kuroo laughs, already high.

Bokuto looks at you and chuckles awkwardly. "Well he's not exactly wrong I guess..."

You smile as you think you're perfectly fine with that. You could use a break more often and being with Bokuto sounds like the perfect excuse for one.

"We gotta go on another trip again soon!" Hotaru then beams.

"I'm down for that!" Kuroo nods.

"Hey, what's the difference between being 'up' for something and being 'down' for something? Isn't it like the same thing?" Bokuto hums. Unfortunately, nobody's got an answer for him. Kenma looks absolutely lost at the insane question while Akaashi stares at the ground with his eyebrows knitted together as though he's trying to figure it out.

"Wait a second!" Kuroo gasps. "I've got something I've been trying to figure out all day since we went out for lunch."

"What is it?" Hotaru asks, rolling her eyes as she prepares for the idiotic questions he's about to spill.

"When we're waiting for the waiter to take our order and give us our meals, aren't we the waiters? Ya know, cause we're waiting for the waiter?" he thinks aloud.

"You idiot! What kind of question is that?!" Hotaru asks. However, the rest of the group hums in silence as they move on to figuring out the answer to Kuroo's' question. You look over at Bokuto who's looking out into the distance deep in thought.

You look back over at Kuroo and shake his head. "That's such a bad question but I think you're right..."

"But the waiter is waiting for us to tell them what food we want, right?" Hotaru asks, now entranced in the question. She looks over at Saeko who shrugs, having absolutely no answer to help her out.

"Oh, at work once my coworkers and I noticed something kinda strange..." you begin as you get curious looks from your friends. "Technically, didn't the brain name itself? Is that supposed to mean something?"

Hotaru looks at you cross-eyed. "I think my brain might fall out of my head if we keep talking about this stuff," she grumbles.

Your group laughs, happy to spend quality time together on your last night, and relieved that the previous upsetting conversation is now over.

For you, it's really nice to loosen up like this. You really needed that break from work, it's just unfortunate you realized that so late. However, you're not going to let that stop you from enjoying the nice time with your friends that are surrounding you right now in this moment.