forty eight

Today is the day that you unfortunately arrive back at Kuroo's house, marking the end of your road trip. You sadly gather your bags and step out of the RV, placing everything outside of Bokuto's car since he had given you a ride there the day you left. However, you know that this time you're going to be the one to drive home. There's no chance in hell that you'd let him drive with his legs messed up.

After putting all of your belongings down, you turn back to your friends and hug each of them goodbye. As you throw your arms around Hotaru, you notice that Bokuto and Kuroo both look like they're going to cry as they hug each other like little kids leaving a playdate.

"Babies," Hotaru sniffs in reference to the boys as she does her best not to sob. "You better not turn back into a stranger after this trip, you hear me? You've got to come hang out with me way more than you did before, k?"

"I promise," you smile sadly. "I will, Hotaru."

"Good," she hums as she pulls away and wipes her eyes.

It's not long after for Hotaru and Saeko to hop in their car and drive off. It takes you and Bokuto a little while, but eventually you're able to guide him back to his car. It was hard for you to tear him away from the others, he quite obviously isn't ready to leave yet.

It almost takes you pushing him into the passenger seat to get going. Once he's seated, you give a last hug to Akaashi, Kenma, and Kuroo.

"Thanks for coming up with this whole thing," you smile at Kuroo. "I really owe you one."

"Don't mention it," he grins back. "As long as you're happy, we're even."

With a huge, cheesy grin on your face you throw your arms over all three of them at once and pull them close. "I'm so sorry for ditching you guys after college," you whisper. "I swear I'll see you all more."

When you pull away, they all look like they're about to cry. So to spare them what they'll view as embarrassment, you open the car door and get into the driver's seat. Rolling down the window, you and Bokuto wave goodbye once more before driving off.

Eventually, you park the car outside of Bokuto's house and walk around to help him with his belongings while he worries about wobbling out of the car.

"Y/N," he asks as you turn around and almost bump right into him. "Sorry! But, um, do you maybe want to stay for a little while?"

"I wouldn't mind," you grin. "I don't have work for another week anyway! Besides, you probably shouldn't be left alone right now or who knows what you'll try to do..."

After agreeing, you bring both his and your items inside his house. Upon setting them all down, you help him to the couch and flop down on the comfortable seat beside him. You sigh as you throw your head back, the cold air conditioning is just what you needed right now. You could almost fall asleep like this...

"Do you have to go?" Bokuto asks randomly.

You pick your head up and look over at him. "Huh? I said I'd stay for awhile, didn't I? Besides, I told you before it's not like I've got anywhere to be for-"

"Yeah, I know, the next week... But you're going to leave once you start work," he remarks sadly.

"Well I do have my own house and job, you know," you chuckle.

"That isn't what I meant," he pouts.

When it finally hits you that he thinks you won't come and visit anymore, your smile instantly falls into a frown. You reach out to touch his hand and intertwine your fingers with his, hoping to assure him as best you can once again.

"I made a mistake before, Kou, but that isn't going to happen again. I'm not going to disappear, I promise you."

His sad eyes meet with yours and break your heart. How the hell could you ever do that to him before this, didn't you understand how much it killed him to not see you every day once you graduated? You know it felt like half of your soul was missing, you just couldn't quite place the sensation until recently.

"You're so sappy," you tease as you bump him in the shoulder. "Cheer up, okay?"

Bokuto laughs, his mood lightening up after you relieved some of his nerves.

"Do you remember how back in college we used to put on a movie and end up waking up to Akaashi awkwardly coming in?" you chuckle as you reach for the remote on the nearby end table.

"Oh yeah," he laughs, "That was the best, but poor Akaashi always thought he was about to walk in on something."

You nod as you think back to the look of worry and horror you would sometimes see on Akaashi's face as he walked into his own dorm room. At the same time, Bokuto reaches around you and pulls you close to him. You open his borrowed Netflix from Akaashi, but grin when you see that he's actually got his own account on there now.

Eventually, as you expected, you did fall asleep next to him. However, there was no Akaashi there this time to wake you up in the middle of the night so you did end up spending the night cuddled up against him until the light of morning begins to pour through the windows.

 However, there was no Akaashi there this time to wake you up in the middle of the night so you did end up spending the night cuddled up against him until the light of morning begins to pour through the windows