Chapter 36 Who do you want

ERINS' POV

His face distorts. "This is bullshit! Just because she's staying here doesn't mean I'm interest in her!"

"Yet the moment she appears, you're willing to hurt me to keep her happy. Here's your key back." I place it on the top of the banister.

"Don't pull this shit on me. I've not touched her, nor will I."

"Ok, maybe that's true. But I will not waste my time on a man who has no interest in what I say or how I feel."

He throws an arm out at his side. "So that's it, is it?"

Even if I were to fall into his arms, our relationship won't last. He's too set in his ways to make any allowances to fit me into his life, and I am still keeping my connection to Michael from him. Which, I am already aware, will cause enormous problems. At least this way we can both walk away without hurting each other anymore.

I blink back the tears and start walking for the door.

"Come on." He follows behind me. "Neither of us wants this."

He's right, I don't want this, but I am not about to change my mind, nor forget that he chose her over me. "Either way, I'm over this."

"BECKY! BECKY!" He yells at the top of his voice.

"What are you doing?"

"I am about to prove to you that nothing happened between her and me."

"Too late!" I say, "I've already decided!" I slip into my shoes and reach for the door handle.

"You step out that door and there won't be a next time for us, Erin!"

Suddenly, a spiteful fury rises within me. I should say no more, yet I can't help myself at the sound of Becky's feet pounding on the stairs. I pull the door open, and with hurt and rage stirring in my heart, I say, "I don't care. The only mistake I made was picking you over Reece. But don't worry, he still wants me!"

Red fury crosses his face. But that's all I see before rushing out the door, almost tripping over my own feet, as the sound of bone smashing through drywall rings in my ears.

STYLES' POV

The front door slams so hard the walls shudder.

Fuck!

Fuck!

Fuck!

I storm along the hall, swearing as I enter the kitchen. Becky sits on a stool: legs crossed, foot flapping, and her nightgown slit to the top of her thigh. Her expression is somewhere between concern and relief.

"What the hell is going on, Ash?"

I stop at the bench, draw in a deep breath, and scold myself. I only have myself to blame for Erin walking out on me. "She's gone. She dumped me because she has it in her head that I'm fucking you! Do you believe it! I tried to tell her nothing happened, but she wouldn't listen. And then she threatened to get with someone else; I mean, what the fuck!" I slam my hand down on the bench.

"Calm down."

"How the fuck can I when she threatened to get with some other guy!"

Becky steps off the stool and walks around the bench to me, placing an arm over my shoulder. "Not that she could have made you happy."