Chapter 35| The Inevitable

Chapter thirty-five: The inevitable

O L I V I A

Kai stayed over that night. He left early in the morning before I woke up, though. He was supposed to attend practice. He kissed me softly before he left. I missed his warmth beside me so I couldn't fall back asleep again. I decided to make use of the time and get up.

I showered and got dressed. I put my hair up in a bun, deciding to fix that look before I would have to leave for work. I pranced into the kitchen and made myself breakfast. Sam came out just as I sat down with some coffee.

"Hey," I greeted her. "Good morning."

"Hey," she mumbled. I took a moment to take her in and noticed that her demeanor looked tired. And it was seven in the morning.

I frowned. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah," she muttered, sitting down beside me heavily.

"Sam?" I probed, placing my cup on the table and turning to her. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she repeated.

"What's going on?"

"I feel sick," she whispered. "I hate this."

"Ohhh," I chuckled as it dawned on me. "Morning sickness?"

"It's not funny," she said, glaring at me through eyes hooded with the lack of energy.

I sobered up. "How can I help?" 

"Can you make me some toast?" She pleased.

"Sure. Be right back." I nodded, standing up. "Would you like coffee with it?"

She shook her head. "No. Just the toast."

"On it."

Ten minutes later I watched her nibbling on the bread while sipping my reheated coffee.

"How long have you known?" I asked her.

"A week," she said. "I suspected as soon as I missed my period."

"Ah." I nodded. That explained that. Sam was one of those people who had been blessed with a perfect cycle. Not a day here or there. "Josh?"

"Told him two days ago," she replied. "Boy, did he lose it."

"Really?" I grinned, "What did he do?"

She chuckled weakly. "I ain't telling you."

"Hey!" I protested. "Chicks before dicks!"

She tutted. "Not this time."

"Bummer," I dropped it. She didn't look like she would enjoy any pestering. "Speaking of, where is your lover?"

"He was up because something came up at work last night so I let him sleep in."

"Will you look at that? Barely a mother and you're already a changed woman," I teased.

"Haha," she deadpanned. I would've believed her apathy had I not caught the twitch of her lips. "Don't you have an office to get to?"

"Actually, I do." I glanced at the time. I had to finish getting ready. "Will you be alright alone?"

She rolled her eyes. "He might be sleeping but he's not useless."

"Right." I nodded. "I'll just-" I gestured towards my room.

She chuckled weakly. "Yeah, you do that."

* * * * *

"Thanks."