Chapter 31| Show Me

Chapter thirty-one: Show me

O L I V I A

Kai called me and convinced me to come to his place after work. I wasn't feeling very well, still reeling from my anxiety attack and I knew Sam was at her parents' so I didn't need much convincing anyway. I took the elevator up and rang the bell. Kai opened it almost immediately.

He greeted me with a hug. "I gave you the key, mon amour. You can use it."

"Okay," I mumbled, clinging onto him tightly.

"What is wrong?" He murmured in my ear, shutting the door closed as he pulled me inside.

"Nothing," I muttered. "Just stay like this for a while."

"Livvy . . . "

"Please, Kai," I begged.

"Alright. Walk to the couch with me?" He asked gently.

"Hmm," I agreed, making my legs move. When we collapsed on the couch, I climbed on his lap and hugged him tightly again. He squeezed my middle and patted my back comfortingly.

"Wanna talk about it?" He questioned after a while.

I took a deep breath.

"No," I admitted. "But I should. I promised I would. I don't want to fight, though."

"Okay," he kissed my shoulder, "I'm listening."

"So, someone was pretty explicit with me today. And I have been getting envelopes with bitchy articles about us on my desk every day this week," I told him. I felt him stiffen under me.

"Did they physically harm you?" He asked, his voice having a dangerous edge to it.

"No," I breathed. I felt some of his tension evaporate.

"Why haven't you done anything about the envelopes yet?" He questioned quietly. "You mentioned it earlier this week as well. Report your boss them. I'm sure they would do something even if you guys don't get along."

I almost felt like I was ten and was complaining about bullies.

"I didn't want to make a big deal out of this, but I can't take it anymore." I whimpered.

"I know this seems a lot now but trust me this will blow over." He hugged me closer.

"I hate this," I murmured. "Plus you seem to be hiding something from me, too. It's too much, Kai."

He stiffened under me. "Do you trust me?"

I clicked my tongue in frustration. "Why the fuck do you think I'm still here?"

"Li-"

"You know what?" I exploded. "They think that I'm the one coming in between you two. They hate me. Even my coworkers are talking behind my backs and calling me a homewrecker."

I wanted to tell him about Charlotte and Michael, but I was scared of his reaction so I left it out.

"Jane and Brian?" He asked hesitantly.

"No." I pulled back to face him. "They know now. But the others?"

"What do you care what the others think?" He asked.

"I do," I said simply. "I fucking do."

"Then don't," he coaxed. "That will bring you peace."

I hated how we were running in circles.

"Kaison," I shook my head in frustration, "It's not that simple."

"Why not?"

"Because to the world, you are hers!" I nearly shrieked. "And the world matters to me."