Chapter 32| Like Old Times

Chapter thirty-two: Like old times

O L I V I A

The girls' day was going fun. Sam's parents had finally met Josh. They hadn't fancied him much, but Sam was happy to know that they had at least hosted them both for the night and let them stay in the same room.

"Baby steps," she had told me when I had reminded her of the subtle insults they had imparted that she had mentioned to me. I had just sighed.

Her parents, although they liked me, were not exactly fond of me. And right then? Oh, their affection was barely cordial. They wanted Sam to live with them in their mansion and join their company now that she was experienced, but the girl was living with me and still pursuing architecture instead of putting her Business major to use as well.

Whatcha gonna do? Sam was stubborn as a mule.

Presently, I had just confessed to my run-in with Charlotte and my best friend was pissed.

"What did that hag say to you?" She yelled indignantly. I smiled involuntarily despite the replay of the exact words in my brain.

"You know what," I said, feeling at peace.

Something about someone else being mad on your behalf cools you down completely.

"I'm gonna find her man, chop off his puny dic-"

"Alrightttt," I sang, interrupting her with a laugh. "That's enough."

"No," she huffed. "I didn't even start properly."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course, you didn't."

She glared at me for being so casual about it.

"What does it matter anyway?" I shrugged. "I don't think we'll be getting photographed publicly anymore."

"Why wouldn't you?" She asked me incredulously. "You're dating. Don't tell me you plan to hole up and date in secret like some other woman."

I cringed at her choice of words. "I mean, the hate isn't going anywhere," I said defensively.

"Don't make that mistake," she warned me. "Finish what you started. Stopping now would only add fuel to fire."

"What's the point, Sam?" I groaned. "I will end up being scrutinized even more and I will also lose my job."

"No," she said, "You will shut those haters right up. Kaison is your man and you're his woman. Those people know nothing, Liv. You gotta tell them!"

"Tell them what?" I rolled my eyes. "Kai won't make any public statements and I'm not a huge fan of a crowd either."

She frowned. "What do you mean Kai won't make any statements?"

"He doesn't want to go up and be hounded by the media." I sighed.

"He doesn't have to go to lengths like that," she cried. "His godly body and looks have brought him a few million Instagram followers. All he has to do is post a story or make a post to clear this up."

I started. "He- what?"

Was it really that simple?

She scowled. "Do you live under a rock?"

"Maybe," I admitted.

"Olivia, you need to talk to him."

"I did," I said placatingly. "And we sorted it out. We're not stirring any trouble up intentionally. He'll speak to Angeline and let me know what the next steps are."