Chapter 30| One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Chapter thirty: One step forward, two steps back

O L I V I A

The two days passed by in a blur, and before I knew it I was picking up my best friend from the airport.

"I'm here!" She had squealed when she saw me before she had engulfed me in a bear hug.

"You're here." I had laughed before we got over the fact that our dream was coming true and that she was there.

An hour later we dragged her handbags and suitcases through my door. Let me tell you, not an easy task. The girl had brought myriads of stuff with her. I wanted to reason with her, but I knew from experience that it was pointless.

Griffin and George came by and visited for a while. Griffin was glad to see me in one piece and he said it out loud, making us laugh. We were sprawled around the living room for the most part of the evening. I made us all snacks and we talked a long while as we ate. They took their leave after we ordered and ate dinner and then it was just me and Sam.

" . . . and so he agreed," Sam recounted how she got her boss to transfer her to NYC with a smirk.

"That was hella smooth, girl!" I laughed.

"I know," she declared flippantly. "Why isn't there any alcohol here?" She whined for the hundredth time.

"Because I have work tomorrow," I recited in a deadpan like I did all those times before. "Hot chocolate?"

"Fine," she pouted, "But only because you make a mean cup."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes with a smile as I got up to make her some. She trailed behind me into the kitchen.

"Don't you wanna settle in before you sleep?" I asked her as I got the ingredients out.

"Are the sheets fresh?" She questioned.

"I changed them after Griffin left and no one has been in there since, so I guess," I replied.

"Good enough for me," she said, hoisting herself up on the island. She rocked her legs back and forth as she talked to me. "I called mom and dad," she spoke.

"Oh? And what did they say?" I asked her as switched on the stove, placing the pan on it.

"They want me to visit them," she answered. "I was thinking about it anyway."

"You should," I agreed, measuring the milk and pouring it in. I made sure the flame was just right while I fished for grated chocolate in the fridge.

"I'm going tomorrow," she told me.

"And . . . ?" I prompted her to reveal more when she paused hesitantly.

"Do you think I should tell them about Josh?" She asked.

I paused to think about it.  

"I don't know," I admitted as I added the chocolate to the milk and began stirring. "It depends on your relationship with him. And your relationship with your parents."

"I don't know what to do." She sighed. "I want him to meet them, but at the same time I'm not sure how they'll react."

"Why?" I frowned, adding cinnamon to the mixture as it neared its boil. It was already smelling heavenly.

"Because- I don't know," she fretted. "They hated him in high school!"

"This isn't high school anymore, Sam," I coaxed her.

"I know, but you know how my parents are. Their memory is phenomenal."

"I know," I mused. "It definitely helped the empire they've built."