Chapter 26| Hanging By A Thread

Chapter twenty-six: Hanging by a thread

O L I V I A

I had taken the day off and called in sick. Jessica could kill me if I weren't already dead by then. I'd claimed that I had the flu. Kai had to do his physiotherapy but he did not want to leave me alone so he stayed and video-called his PT. While they did that in the spacious living room, I ate comfort food and slept a lot.

When Kai was done with that he took a shower. He was skipping gym that day. We sat on the sofa, cuddled into each other, and watched random soaps mindlessly. I stayed the heck away from my ringing phone at all costs.

By the time the evening rolled on, Griffin and George were back home. Kai stayed over and so did George. The boys were stiff around Kai and vice versa, but they put up with each other as I decided that we would all watch a movie. I made movie theatre butter popcorn and we wiled time away till midnight. That's when we all retired to our rooms and slept.

In the morning, I settled that since it was Friday and the weekend was already a holiday, I could have flu for one more day. But then, our project was coming to an end. After a small internal debate, I emailed Jessica to inform her that I would work from home. I had a lot of leaves stacked up since I rarely ever took any, so she couldn't really do anything. Just shout around a little more than usual for not being physically present. I could take that. I said I'd work from home and she had to agree when I didn't give in to her convincing. Forcing me would've been illegal and I bet even she wouldn't dare to do that.

I finally called Samantha back. She was furious that I had not picked up her calls. She was also very worried. When I had calmed that storm down, I texted back Brian and Jane, telling them I was alright and that they needn't worry.

Contrary to my initial thoughts, they had been nothing less than concerned and supportive.

The next morning, I had woken up before the rest of them so to keep my mind occupied while I received what I was supposed to do from my teammates, I resorted to making breakfast for all of us. I made waffles. The aroma of the delicious chocolatey goodness had all those suckers out of bed in no time.

Kai kissed me good morning, while George and Griffin hugged me. I made them some chocolate milk, too. Safe to say, they devoured it all. Kai ate three servings before he finally waved the white flag.

Even though I was full after the milk and waffles, I had to make myself some coffee because my head was starting to ache a little. It went away soon after the caffeine kicked in.

In the afternoon I did my work while Kai worked with his PT and then curled up next to me. We ate our lunches in our rooms, everyone being busy with their own stuff. Griffin was packing. He had talked to me in private and told me he would be more than happy not to shift. He felt like I might need him with all that was going on but I stubbornly turned him down. He and George had been looking forward to that moment for a long while and I did not want to be the reason that their plans crashed.

I shut my laptop at six-thirty, finally done with everything. I lay there with Kai for a while before we both went into the living room. Griffin and George were getting the last of the boxes out of his room.

His departure felt so real then. It crashed down on me like a wave, his empty room. I realized that I was still lowkey hoping that he would not go, that he would change his mind. But he was really going. 

I tried not to let my panic seize me.

"I'll miss you," I sighed, hugging him.

"I'll miss you too." Griff hugged me back. "Stay in touch, Olive."