Chapter 21| Healing Is A Slow Process

Chapter twenty-one: Healing is a slow process

O L I V I A

"Take a seat," Jessica ordered, sitting down in her chair. I obeyed, seating myself as I waited for her to speak. It had taken a lot of convincing to get her to let me have four days off. It had involved a lot of begging and pleases. This meeting would definitely be a jab at that.

"You were gone for a week," she started.

"Four days," I corrected automatically before I winced. She gave me a sharp look and I bit my lip in anxiety.

"How far along are you with your latest project?" She asked.

Shit. I forgot I was supposed to give my report today.

"Umm, we're making good progress." I fidgeted with my hands on my lap. She glared at me.

"I want a definite answer," she said cooly. "Preferably your report."

Holy hell. I definitely liked Mia better. She was much nicer.

"I will email it to you by the end of the day." I sighed. "I haven't completed it yet."

"You-" her voice went up an octave with her rage. I winced again while she closed her eyes and she paused to collect herself. She pinned me with her livid gaze. "Have you even started on that thing?!"

What the fuck did I do to deserve this?

"Umm, no," I told her. "I was on a leave."

"That leave ended last Friday," she said flatly.

I raised my eyebrows in temporary defiance. "Saturday and Sunday were company holidays."

"Don't act smart with me," she barked.

"I'm sorry." I cringed.

"I want them in my inbox by noon," she demanded. "You are free to go."

"Yes, ma'am." I stood up and scrambled out. From her cabin to mine, almost everyone who met my eye smiled at me sympathetically. I managed back a weak smile.

 As soon as I entered our cabin, Brian and Jane looked up.

"So, you're alive," Brian deduced.

Jane examined me. "That bad?" 

"Yes," I answered Brian sarcastically. He grinned in response. "And yes." I nodded at Jane, sitting down on my chair. "I forgot to make last week's progress report."

"Shit," Jane mumbled.

"Tell me about it." I got to work. "Can you guys please email me your work on the project? I need to hand it in by noon."

"On it," Brian replied.

"Sure thing," Jane agreed.

"I need a coffee," I muttered, looking at my screens and to-do post-its.

"Go now," Jane advised. "I just came back a while ago and the coffee machine was free."

"Yup." I did just that. It was still free, so the process was quick. I waddled back to the cubicle, grabbing an apple on the way. I already felt tired.

"Your phone was buzzing while you were gone," Jane told me as she caught my sight. I hummed at her tiredly.

Brian laughed. "Regretting that vacation yet?" 

I thought about it as I glanced at my phone screen where there was a notification indicating Kai's missed call and text. I smiled as my mood lifted.

"Nope," I answered. "Not at all."