01.

Someone had to have stuck glue to the bottom of her white trainers as she stood outside the doors leading to Liberty High, hoodie over her head and sunglasses covering her face as an attempt to hide how sleep deprived she was

Someone had to have stuck glue to the bottom of her white trainers as she stood outside the doors leading to Liberty High, hoodie over her head and sunglasses covering her face as an attempt to hide how sleep deprived she was. She was also secretly hoping the hoodie would cover the hand shaped bruises on her neck she aggressively lapped with concealer this morning. 

She walked down the hallways avoiding making eye contact with anyone,  it wasn't exactly usual for 'miss popular' to look like...well shit. She also hadn't seen or spoke to anyone in days, after having the tapes delivered she physically couldn't leave her bed without thinking she was going to either throw up or pass out because how could they have let this happen?  but she needed to come back and not have people asking questions. That was the last thing she needed right now.

Her boyfriend would probably be the first one to corner her and demand an answer as to where she's been and she couldn't exactly tell him the truth as he didn't even receive the tapes and if she told her friends why she'd have to admit that what hannah said was true and she'd rather fucking die.

If not Monty then it would be Jess, although she has a good friendship with multiple people her and Jess' bond is different they're like sisters and she was there for her when Jeff died so she feels kind of bad she just went off the grid.

She kept her eyes locked forward and walked towards her locker ignoring the stares she was receiving and missing the worried looks her friends were giving eachother once they caught sight of her. Chipped pink nails fumbling with the lock, she swung it open and hastily grabbed her books - avoiding looking towards the polaroids she knows are hung up that will bring on the waterworks - and slamming the locker shut. She spun around only for her belongings to smash against the ground dragging unwanted attention to her trembling figure.

"Hey are you okay? you don't look too good", she heard a voice say from behind her. She knew that voice. The voice of the person who took her best friends life. 

"What the fuck do you want Sheri?" Maddy hissed glaring at her and not bothering with any formalities. She didn't deserve them.

Sheri, shocked by the answer uttered back "I just wanted to see if you're okay" attempting to put a comforting hand on Maddys arm which was slapped away. The short brunette just rolled her eyes and walked off to class, slamming into her shoulder on the way after picking up her books and holding them in a near death grip at an attempt to cover her shaking hands.

"I'm worried about her, do you know where she's been these past few days?" Zach whispered to Jess who was watching the interaction from the other end of the hallway. 

"No she was dodging all my calls I don't think even Monty has heard from her" Jess responded, worried eyes following her best friends retreating figure. Which was true Maddy's phone was barely functioning from the numerous calls and texts she received and ignored.

***

The loud bang of the door being swung open caught the attention of the quiet classroom as Maddy walked straight to the back of the class to an empty seat with her head still down. The teacher looked at her in disbelief "Nice of you to join us today Miss. Campbell, you're late".

"Sorry," she deadpanned, not sounding sorry at all but the teacher didn't mention it, just asked her to take her sunglasses off which Maddy did begrudgingly.

She sat in a daze for the majority of the class, she couldn't get her mind off of the tapes and she was drowning in guilt, not to mention her interactions with Hannah were on a constant loop in her head. She caught Clays eyes from across the classroom and was able to pinpoint the lost look dancing across his face however she quickly looked away before he could notice how heavily she was staring. 

"Are you okay?" Clay mouthed to the girl once they made eye contact the second time.

They had been friends since they were young so it wasn't unusual for them to talk and it was pretty plausible seeing how corpse-like she was looking, but she hated that question and she couldn't take everyone asking her it so she threw everything in her bag and left, hearing the the teacher shouting for her to come back which she swiftly ignored and leaving Clay looking at the door she just left through with an odd look on his face.