Chapter 16

"We will get Zeke no matter what. So, do whatever you need to do to find him, understand?" Eren ordered. The Yeagerites nodded their heads and went off, doing as they're told. Eren then started to walk away towards somewhere, anywhere. After getting off the cliff him and his group met at, he turned left. Everything is now quiet except the sounds of nature.

That's good, he needs this time of near silence. Eren soon started to think about Armin and Mikasa, the two most important people in his life. He thought about the memories of them playing around and talking about the paradise they could experience outside the walls. Naive about the enemies that lie there. Eren then started thinking about himself, on what he used to want. Which included marrying Armin and adopting kids with him. He lifted up his right hand slightly, looking at where the ring would've been.

He could see it now, Armin off leading the Survey Corps while he stayed behind and take care of their infant son and daughter. He sees himself sitting in a rocking chair with them, singing the songs his mother used to sing to him when he was younger. Suddenly, the image vanished and replaced with a sheet of darkness once again. Eren blinked a few times before letting out of snort, without the usual smirk.

This is all very cheesy and far fetched, Eren made his bed and now he has to lie in it. Yes, it's disheartening that he has to become a sacrifice for the greater good. But if this will bring about freedom for all, then so be it. He would rather die and for Armin to be safe than for him to be alive and only cause suffering for those he loves and cares about most. Eren soon found a small, brick house that seemed to be abandoned. 'This is where I will stay for now.' He thought, looking over the house. He reaches it and walks inside, surprisingly, the house is clean and contains everything a house usually has. Perfect.

Now, all Eren has to do is wait.
——————————————————
Armin doesn't know what to do or think.

He would never have thought that Eren would do kill Zackly and escape. Does that mean that Eren is hiding something after all? He really doesn't know the answer, he really hopes that it isn't the case. His eyes glances over at Mikasa, who is only staring out the window in their shared bedroom. The two were about to be placed in prison with their other friends after the Yeagerites appeared and ambushed the entire corps. But somehow, Armin managed to convince some of them to let him and Mikasa share a room. The catch is that, obviously, two soldiers will have to stand outside the door and monitor activity.

"Armin...what do you think that Eren is trying to do?" Mikasa asked softly, not diverting her eyes from the window.

The blond sighed, "I am not sure, but I do know that there is more than what we're witnessing right now. I'm sure of it, so don't worry." He walked over to Mikasa and took her hand in his. Mikasa finally looked at him with a soft smile, gently squeezing his hand. The two decided to look out the window together. Hoping that the man they both care about is not evil. There has to be a reason Eren is doing all of this.

There has to be.
—————————————————
Two weeks later...

Hange is in a better place, away from the craziness of the world. She will be able to meet with Erwin and her second in command. Finally, she will tell Moblit how much he meant to her and how she valued their friendship and close bond. She had been busy with Titans and the war effort so much that she never took the time to enjoy life and be grateful until it was too late.

Hange Zoë was tired and she finally is getting her rest. Armin, new commander of the Survey Corps, stood there with a stunned expression. He couldn't believe that one of the people he looked up to is gone and has made him commander. How the hell is he going to lead? His thoughts were interrupted when Jean placed a hand on his shoulder. "Armin, what should we do?" The blond pursed his lips briefly before answering, "Give me one day to think. I will have an answer by then. For now, everyone else should rest and prepare themselves in case any more Yeagerites or Titans want to fight us." Jean and the rest of the group nodded their heads and went off their separate ways.

When everyone apparently left, Armin fell onto his knees, silent tears running down his face. He knows what he has to do, that bizarre meeting with Eren sometime earlier confirmed it. Armin really doesn't want to, he really doesn't. But he can't have this naive mindset that everything would be fixed by talking and having negotiations. The world is not that kind nor simple.

He soon opened his eyes, and the tears has since stopped.

"It's time for war."

Mikasa, who watched everything Armin did, felt like her heart just shattered into millions of pieces. This last resort was something she wanted to avoid at all cost. But, they can't do that anymore. They will have to fight Eren. Though this will be disheartening...

it will be worth it.