eleven

natsu
today, 3:39 pm

get dressed
like workout clothes but bring a pair of shorts
i'll pick you up in like 20-30 mins

what happened to hi
hello
how are you doing

hi hello how are you, get ready

ready for what ??

secret

mf
how many secrets can your tiny ass brain hold

mean !!
you better be getting ready i'm about to be otw

ffs
fine

you sigh, rolling off your bed and pulling clothes from your dresser. natsu had a habit of texting you with little to no notice to hang out, and today was no exception.

it'd been two weeks since the party that sting showed up to. you found yourself wanting to be more open and affectionate with natsu, but you usually stopped and hesitated at the last second. either natsu didn't care or he had all the patience in the world, because he never outwardly expressed frustration about it.

you pull on a t shirt and running shorts, putting on the hoodie natsu had given you when you spent the night at his house and a pair of sweatpants, putting your hair in a ponytail.

you hear natsu exaggeratedly knocking on your door, making you grin.

"one sec!"

you sling a backpack with some water bottles and extra clothes on one of your shoulders. with natsu, it was better to be prepared for anything.

"hi! you look pretty!"

"thanks natsu."

"okay, let's go!"

"what are you planning now?"

"i'm not telling you yet!"

"are you gonna give me a hint?"

"mmm, no."

"asshole." you grumble, settling in his passenger seat. you notice extra clothes and a backpack in his backseat, raising your confusion.

"is it gonna be just us?"

"not this time. gray and juvia, gajeel and levy, and erza and kurenai will all be there."

"you got kurenai in on it too?!"

"erza asked her, you know she can't say no to her."

you two pull up to what seems to be a sports complex, a football field with bright lights cast over it next to a large building that looks similar to a warehouse.

natsu opens a side door for you, leading you inside.

"what the hell?!"

gajeel, levy, gray, juvia, erza, and kurenai are all gathered in the gym, a volleyball net and a cart of balls set up nearby.

"i thought it would be fun if we all played together! erza told me you played in high school. it won't be a full six on six, but we can play triples or two versus two."

you'd be lying if you said you weren't touched. he had to be one of the most considerate people you'd ever met.

"i don't have court shoes or knee pads or anything though."

"that's where i come in! here!" kurenai grins, holding out your court shoes from high school and a pair of new knee pads.

"you sneaky fuck. thank you." you grin.

you shed your sweats and hoodie, pulling on the knee pads and lacing your shoes.

"we're bringing the dynamic duo back!" kurenai elbows you, eyes glittering with excitement.

kurenai was your setter in high school, volleyball being the reason you two grew close to begin with.

"i'm gonna whoop your ass gray!"

"you're gonna eat those words when juvia and i embarrass you!"

you roll your eyes hearing natsu and gray yell, erza chuckling.

"do they ever stop?"

"nope. they've been at it since we were kids and i doubt it'll stop anytime soon."

the group splits into teams, the first game being you, natsu, erza, and kurenai against gray, juvia, gajeel, and levy.

4 games later, everyone is sweating and exhausted. but it was the most fun you'd had in a long time.

even though you hadn't played in a few years, your natural ability had never left. to say natsu was impressed with how good you were would be a massive understatement. you going after every ball, diving, and making amazing passes only intensified his attraction to you.

gray sits next to natsu, following natsu's gaze to where you're deep in conversation with the girls.

"what're you waiting for man?"

"i don't know. she's just really like reserved, i don't wanna freak her out."

"natsu was so excited to plan this, he was yelling at gray and gajeel all day to make sure they didn't mess anything up." juvia laughs, picturing natsu storming over the house earlier in the day to make sure his plan was carried out accordingly.

"really? he texted me so last minute, i didn't think he thought that far ahead."

"no way. he puts so much thought into the stuff he plans when you guys hang out. he spends at least a day talking everyone's ears off about it and asking for ideas." levy chimes in.

and here i thought he was just an impulsive airhead.

you can't stop the smile that creeps onto your face, turning to look at natsu and gray and met with eyes already looking at you. he slightly jumps when you turn around, waving sheepishly.

he's so adorable.

everyone gathers their things, discussing where to get food when they leave.

"hey, natsu?"

"yea?" he looks up from putting things in his backpack.

"do you uh... would you wanna workout with me tomorrow?" you ask quietly. he blinks a few times, making sure he heard you right.

"really?!" you nod, chuckling at his excitement.

"of course i will! i'll pick you up tomorrow!"

kurenai nudges erza, nodding towards you and natsu.

"they're so in love."

"definitely."