Thorns (Mahiru and Peko, SDR2)

Pairing: Koizumi Mahiru x Pekoyama Peko 

   Koizumi smiles proudly as she leads her girlfriend through the garden she's been nurturing for years.

   "-These are my lilies, my daises, my lilacs, and of course, my award-winning roses!"

   She stops them both in front of the aforementioned roses, gesturing excitedly. "Don't they smell amazing, Peko?"

   Pekoyama blinks and frowns. "I don't smell anything, my dearest."

   Koizumi frowns at her. "Seriously?! It smells so nice and sweet! Maybe you just need to get a little closer?"

   Pekoyama shrugs and bends down, getting her face closer to them, inhaling. She frowns, closing her fingers around the prickly stem and pulling it closer.

   After a moment's consideration, she pulls away and turns back to Koizumi. "Still nothing. I apologize."

   Koizumi makes a huffy noise. "How the hell do you not smell it?! Seriously, Peko?!" She complains.

   Pekoyama looks apologetic. "Really, I'm sorry. My sense of smell has always been weak anyway." She mumbles.

   Koizumi perks up. "Oh. That's okay! Here."

   She reaches down and plucks a rose from the ground before the silver-haired girl can protest and holds it up to Pekoyama. "Try it now."

   Pekoyama gingerly takes it between her fingers, ignoring the prickling of the thorns, bringing the head up to her nose.

   "Ah. . .I smell a bit of 'plant' now."

   "It smells amazing, right?"

   "Indeed. . ," Pekoyama looks up into Koizumi's eyes, "Do you know why this flower reminds me of you, though?"

   The photographer frowns. "Really? Why?"

   Pekoyama smiles. "Because even though it's a bit prickly and offputting in the stem, the reality is beautiful and amazing overall and when you get past that."

   Koizumi raises her eyebrow. "I'm not sure whether to be offended or flustered."

  "Hmm. . .Perhaps it didn't come off as I intended to, but it was supposed to be a compliment. "

   The red-haired girl smiles, straining her neck to kiss her girlfriend's cheek. "I know. Don't worry, I get you, Peks. How about we pick a dozen of these and put them in a vase by the window." She suggests.

   "Are you sure? These are your award-winning roses."

   Koizumi smiles. "It's fine. Besides, I already crushed the competition anyways," She kneels next to flowers, "Here, I'll show you how to pick them without damaging them. Be mindful of the thorns now."

-

   "They're beautiful," Pekoyama says as Koizumi sets the vase down. 

   Koizumi smiles. "Of course they are. I nurtured and cared for them every day," She looks over her shoulder at Pekoyama, "Just like I intend to do to you for every day for the rest of our lives."

   Pekoyama smiles back, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend's waist and pulling her close. "Sounds like a plan. Ah, and I'll protect and love you forever as well."

   "Sounds like we just wrote part of our wedding vows."

   "Guess that means we should go shopping for rings?"

   "Absolutely, it does."