Nothing will ever be good again

The next day, I went to the dining hall and saw some kind of weird... statue with the photo's Mahiru took hung up on it.

"Wh-what the hell is this?!" I yelled.

"It look great, doesn't it?" Hiyoko smiled.

"Th-this is..." Some more people entered.

"Who would build something like this?!" Akane asked.

"Y-yeah, jt's gross, right? Let's burn it!" Hiyoko yelled.

"We must destroy this object in honor of Mahiru! I shall not let someone disrespect the dead!" Gundham yelled.

"I think someone built it in honor of Mahiru... I like it, we should keep it." Chiaki said.

"In honor of her?" Nagito questioned.

"Yeah, look, those are her pictures. It's supposed to make us remember her." She smiled.

"Now that you say it, I do see where you are coming from." Sonia said. "Let's take it with us when we leave this island!" She grinned proudly.

"But who made it?" I asked.

"I-I did..." Hiyoko admitted. "I don't actually want to burn it!"

"Then we won't." Chiaki said. "Now let's start eating, okay?" We all agreed.

"Hajime, do you think Monkuma has already prepared a new motive?" Nagito asked. "I'm kind of worried, you know? I know I shouldn't think about that, but, if I can, I want to prevent the next murder at any costs. I want to try my best to be useful!"

"You are useful. You help out a lot during the trials. I think you're great." I could've sworn I saw his cheeks turn slightly pink at that.

"Ah, well... I'm glad you think so, but I want to be able to help out before the murder happens, not after. I want to prevent everyone from dying..."

"Look, if I notice any suspicious activity, I'll tell you and we'll work as a team to stop a murder from happening, okay?"

"Yeah! Thank you!" He grinned. I smiled at him.

I bet Mahiru would have been proud of him for not giving up and trying his best. I miss her already... She was a great friend.

"Are you okay?" Nagito frowned. "You zoned out for a second."

"Oh! Yeah, I'm fine. Uhm, do you wanna hang out with me after breakfast, by the way?"

"I'd love to!" And so, we got done with eating and went to the beach.

"I know this might sound kinda cheesy now... but I'm glad I met you." He said. "Even if it was in this sort of situation. You always manage to cheer me up... You're great too."
He smiled, embarrassed by what he just said. My cheeks heated up a bit and I chuckled.

"Thanks. I'm glad I met you too." I put my hand on his and he turned to look at me, seemingly surprised.

"Hey, let's survive this together, okay? We'll have each other's backs!"

"Sure!" He grinned. "That sounds great. But that means, if one of us is feeling really bad, the other has to make sure they're okay too. We wouldn't something... bad... to happen, right? So, if you ever miss your family or get scared or something, feel free to tell me, yeah?"

"I will. You too, okay?" He nodded.
I actually hadn't even really thought about my family since I got on the island.

"Do you have siblings, Nagito?"

"No, I'm an only child. Do you?"

"Me neither. And what's your family like?"

"They're really nice people. I'm not their biological son though. When I was very young, my real parents died in a plane crash. I barely remember them..." He trailed off.

"Oh... I'm really sorry."

"No, don't apologize. I'm fine. I mean, my adoptive parents are great! I'm glad I have them. I hope they're okay..."

"I'm sure they are." I put a hand on his shoulder. "I'd like to meet them when we get out of here. They seem nice."

"They really are. The first time I went to an amusement park was with them. And they bought me my first pet too. He's a dog. I wonder how he's doing..."

"I like dogs, they're cute."

"I know, right? I was super happy when they told me they'd buy me a dog! I had been pestering them about it for months so I couldn't wait to go get him!" He chuckled. "I miss them..." Nagito frowned.

"I miss my parents too. I wish I could just be at home right now. Or just be at Hope's Peak... but, like, actually be there, not here. Do you think we would've been classmates too if things went normally?"

"I don't know, but it would've been great! I would have loved to be your classmate."

"I would've liked that too. You seem like you have good grades, I could cheat off of your work." I joked.

"Hey, that's mean!"

"I'm kidding." I laughed. "But yeah, I would have liked to be your classmate as well."

Nagito sighed and put his head on my shoulder, making my face heat up a bit.

"I wish things would've went normally... I try my best to stay positive, but it's hard when bad things keep happening..."

I put my hand on his head, ruffling his hair. It was soft. I needed to help him. I wanted to cheer him up, like he did with me.

"It'll be okay. I... I'll protect you." He looked up.

"You will?"

"Mhm, it's a promise." He smiled. "Thank you."

After that, we went to the new island. It was about as big as the others. There was a hospital, a movie theater, a music venue, a motel and a street full of old computers adn junk. I got tired and went back to my cottage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next morning, Fuyuhiko came back to us.

"I'm sorry, everyone. I'm really, really sorry. I'll try hard to gain your trust again!" He said.

"Pfft! Do you think that sort of apology will make us forgive you?" Hiyoko laughed.

"I-I know why you feel that way about me. I don't blame you. I'm sorry..." He bowed down. Suddenly, blood started dripping out of his stomach.

"Fuyuhiko, no!" Kazuichi rushed up to him. "Mikan, please, you gotta help him!" He yelled.

Mikan nodded and they went to the hospital.

"What was that..?" Nagito asked with wide eyes. "Did he... did he slit his own stomach?"

"I think he did..." Sonia replied. "He will be okay! It is in Mikan's hands now! I trust her." She smiled.

"Okay, you're right. She's good at her job... I hope."

Nagito answered. After breakfast, I went to my cottage and decided to just get some rest for the day. I was exhausted and not in the mood to meet up with anyone. When I woke up again, it was evening.

Ibuki knocked on my door and told me to go to the music venue and she started playing music. It was really loud, but I was able to handle it. Just as Ibuki was about to play another song, Nekomaru burst through the door.

"Akane! Sh-she's fighting Monkuma!" He yelled. "They're at the beach!"

We quickly went there to check up on what's happening. Monkuma was about to shoot Akane, but Nekomaru jumped in to save her.

"N-Nekomaru!" She cried out.

"It's okay... Th-that was nothing for... for... Nekomaru Nidai! I can... h-handle it..."
He passed out and we begged Monkuma to try to save him. After a while, he obliged at took him to the hospital.

"See? It can never be good for once!" Hiyoko cried. "I can't work together with you guys! I don't wanna die a meaningless death!"

She wiped her tears and stormed off.

I sighed. "Will she be okay?"

"I'm sure she will. She's probably just angry right now... it'll be fine." Chiaki said.

After that, everyone went to their cottages.