Like Flies

Oliver was speeding through the streets of Rome with the help of two cars filled with the King's guard leading the way and two cars behind us. He loved his 1960s E-Type Jaguar and bent it to his command. He handled it like Gino did, straight off the F1 formula tracks. "If Gio knew I was driving you around like this, he would kill me."

"Don't worry," I giggled, pointing ahead at the cars leading us, "Salvatore will be sure to let Gino know."

Oliver rolled his eyes, completely forgetting about Salvatore. "Ah, yes, the great second hand of his great majesty, Salvatore Decimus. God forbid you to commit a venial sin, for Salvatore will seek your damnation." He moved his hand about in a dramatic way, teasing Salvatore's uptight personality. "But," Oliver looked over at me, with a soft smile, before shifting into another gear, "He would take a bullet for my best friend, and so I must live with that uptight twat."

The cars were keeping the paparazzi as far away from us as they could. It wasn't an easy feat. I looked behind us, the sound of honking now catching my attention. A particular paparazzi on a Vespa tried to get past the King's guards. They were pretty adamant. They were calling me Italy's Lily, well, at least the population that approved of me. The rest were the nastiest insults I'd have read or heard. I used to listen to all kinds of rumors about me in high school, but the things the world was saying about that took the cake. Gino has been pretty busy since everyone found out about me, but Oliver has kept me busy. Tonight will be the first night he introduces me to Gino's closest friends. They have been dying to meet me. Oliver has told me that Gino had informed every single one of them they were expected to be cordial and respectful, so basically, he threatened them all.

"Why is Gino so worried about me meeting all of your friends?"

Oliver sighed, tilting his head to the right and left, really thinking about what he wanted to say. "Well, they are all elites, and therefore many big personalities. These personalities are what Gio is worried about. He doesn't want them to overwhelm you."

"I have a big personality too, you know," I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest, slightly bothered by Gino's concern.

Oliver chuckled, rubbing his chin as he made a tight turn up a private road enclosed by a massive iron gate. "That's part of the worry; he's not concerned you won't be able to handle yourself. He's worried they will put you in a position in which you'll need to handle yourself." A beautiful, antique estate emerged as we neared the top of the private road. Nestled in the middle of chaotic Rome, was such a place? It's like we left Rome and entered the countryside. Oliver looked over at me, giving a big smile, "He thought you'd loved it; I guess he was right."

"It's beautiful."

"It belonged to the Contessa Della Scala, Gio's mother's cousin. It was taken away from her after continuous scandals involving her brother."

I gasped, widening my eyes in Oliver's direction. He chuckled, nodding his head, confirming my suspicions.

"It was then in the royal family's hands until passed on to our good friend, Donna Giorgia Brandolini. She's...interesting. I believe you'll like her. She has been friends with Gio since their riding days, so that would be 15 years now."

"I'm going to assume all the friends I will be meeting today are somewhat royal?"

Oliver parked his car, "You would assume correctly." He got out of the car and quickly went around and opened my door. The guards descended the grounds of this beautiful home, checking the safety.

"Lady Chance, please-"

"I know the drill now, Salvatore." He nodded his head before motioning for the guards to get to work. It usually took no less than 5 minutes.