That boy is insignificant

© 2024 [CCBubs]

Those words echoed in my head like a love song I could never tire listening to.

He said that.

He really said that.

He didn't even flinch.

He meant every word.

Every single word.

His chuckle broke me out of my thoughts. I frowned, watching him with squinted eyes, not trusting what he might do. "I will never tire of that look in your eyes." I was still confused as to what he meant. "Do my feelings truly surprise you, fiore? Do my manners not reveal just how deeply I feel for you?"

His right hand now clasped my still waving hand, and spun me in a full circle, before pulling me so that our chests connected. I stood there stunned, his forehead pressing against my own. "You're teasing me again."

"Until the day I die," he whispered, before pressing a gentle kiss against the tip of my nose before we walked away, leaving behind a roaring crowd of applause.

The guards surrounded us as we were ushered through the private hallways of the teatro. Our car was waiting for us, but it seemed others were too. As we turned a corner, the doors to the back alley were swung open and a flood of flashes came. I stumbled, startled by the brightness. Gino stopped us, stepping in front of me, blocking the lights from blinding me further. He nodded to the guards, four of them quickly stood around us and opened umbrellas, completely blocking out the flashes from the cameras. The sound of annoyance from the paparazzi sent an amused smile to Gino's lips. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me tightly beside him. 

"Your majesty! Viva l'Italia!"

I frowned, recognizing that voice from somewhere, I turned my head away from Gino looking around him to find Leonardo standing there in the crowd of spectators. The moment his eyes locked with mine, something switched in him. No longer were his eyes filled with adornment as they were when he was looking at Gino, when he looked at me, it looked like he was disgusted by me. His mouth moved, slowly, emphasizing every single word. I stopped walking, watching him carefully.

What was he saying to me?

His lips moved slowly and dramatically.

"You."

You.

"Don't."

Don't.

"Belong."

Belong.

You don't belong.

He was saying I don't belong.

Before my heart could sink, Gino had me in his arms once more, his lips pressing against my cheek as he nearly carried me into the car. The sound of the crowd was silenced as the car door slammed shut. Gino quickly laid me against the seat of the car, my head and torso resting against his body as he maneuvered me so that I was half being cradled by him. The movements were so fast, so sharp, that I couldn't think about what Leonardo had mouthed to me in the crowd.

But I think that was Gino's intention.

In fact, it was proven when he leaned in and pressed a kiss against my temple and whispered, "That boy is insignificant," he whispered, "you are the epitome of desire, and therefore belong everywhere."

My breath hitched, as I moved away from him slightly to look into his eyes. The way he looked at me made me feel powerful, strong, as if nothing could hurt me. "You saw what he said."