God, give me strength

Correction.

Not Giovanni's mother.

Giovanni's grandmother.

Or as he calls her, Nonna.

Marvelous woman.

Intelligent.

Witty.

Sociable.

Interested in her grandchild.

Everything my grandmothers were not.

So, to listen to a grandma know everything and anything about her grandson's first time he lost his tooth or the afternoon he won his first fencing tournament was amazing, to say the least. She knew everything about him and enjoyed talking about him. I was...envious.

But most importantly.

She found me 'a beauty I would eagerly paint all of Italy with'. Going as far to say, "Darling, you are an estimable woman of rare excellency only so few are born with".

That is verbatim.

She, the Queen Dowager, found me of "rare excellency". I can't believe it. I can't freaking believe it.

"Tell me, bella, how have you been treated thus far?"

She was quite interesting. Just like Gino, she too had a whimsical verbiage. It was structured on Italian foundation, but incorporated the flare of neighboring nations.

"I can't complain," I told her. "It's everything I dreamed of...and more," I sneaked a glance to Gino who was watching me with a lazy smile and playful eyes. His Nonna caught this unspoken chat between the two of us, but said nothing. She only mirrored Gino's lazy smile, I see where he gets his flirty side from. "He stole me away to show me the best champagne Italy has to offer, but I have yet to try."

Nonna looked at Gino, who gave a bashful smile to his Nonna, while I earned a cocked eyebrow. "Well, we will have to fix this. It seems my nipote has become distracted. I shall rectify the issue, bella." She snapped her fingers and just like that everyone was at work. The guards and aids who followed Nonna here dispersed. It was quite a sight to see. "But first," one of the maids placed a tray which displayed the most beautiful and intricate designs, "we will have some tea to cleanse our palettes." It's that french design I love, but can never remember the name of. Toilet? Toile? I think that's the name. It just screamed aristocracy.

"Nonna is leading you into a trap, fiore," Gino whispered to me, not so discreetly. I looked over at Nonna who was feigning shock, a devious smile playing along her lips. "She's going to be reading your leaves...that is of course," he looked directly at me, that look still sending sparks up and down my back, "if you want her to."

"You can read fortunes," I reluctantly looked away from those breathtaking eyes and to Nonna now.

She looked quite happy with my enthusiasm, "Would you like me to read your fortune, bella?"

"Yes please," I whispered, "I'd like that very much."

Giovanni rested her cheek against his palm as he watched me with a lazy smile. His Nonna took the cup as I finished it up. As she gazed into my cup, I couldn't help but feel nervous. What was she going to see? Was it going to be bad? Was it going to be good? Is she going to get my hopes up? After a couple of minutes, she looked at Giovanni who was watching her intently. He noticed the look she had on her face.

"What is it Nonna?"

"Pericolo." (Danger)

Giovanni tensed. Well, that must not be good. Giovanni was literally about to get out of his chair, but noticed my concern and quickly settled down.