Ch. 6 Eight Years Before

I happily ran over Gyomei as I hugged his leg as we waited for the announcement of a new Hashira. That moment it was only, me, Gyomei and Kanae who was around sixteen.

The other Hashiras retired from age or injuries, and other died. I was there for a year and I saw so much death between us Hashiras. And I clearly knew it was from the people who raised me.

When I realized that another member died I cried to sleep in Kanae’s arms from sadness and guild. All the formers took my secret to their grave. The secret I came with into the Demon slayer corps.

Me being a demon.

That day Master introduced us new member. He was covered in scary scars and had no brows.

I focused on his aura and saw a pretty aura surround him. But with it was guild and sorrow. It made me frown and made me want to comfort him but I held back as I gripped tighter into Gyomei’s long green haori.

“Master who is he?” I asked pointing to him with my small hand. He looked rather young, what like fourteen?

Master looked at me with his dark violet eyes as he smiled as I grasped the platform he was at.

He crouched patting my hand lovingly, “he is Shinakuzawa Sanemi, the new Wind Pillar.”

My pupils glanced at him as he gave me a curious look. I hadn’t seen or heard of Wind Breathing before. Well Sensei did tell me that it as well known and rather chaotic and difficult to use. 

“he looks scary Master.” I said as I leaned into his touch.

He let a chuckle.

The new Hashira growled, “Master who is the midget?”

Gyomei immediately interfered, “She is Kitsuki, the Moon Pillar.” For a nine year old I was rather strong to be a Hashira for so young.

I grinned as he looked shocked and in disbelief, it was normal to hear and see that reaction. But an aura of admiration suddenly came.

***

Slowly more people came and replaced the formers, but one place stayed open, the Thunder Hashira. Ever since he left due to losing a leg no one came to change it. After all that breath may have six positions but it was one of the most difficult and it focused a lot on speed and agility. A lot of strength and pressure goes on the footing.

Many were shook with the age I had and that I was the second strongest Hashira. Most times I went to missions with Gyomei or Kanae due to my age.
But later as I turned ten I asked Kagaya to let me go alone.

***

One day I decided to visit Shinjuro, a former and a friend who retired due to drinking habit who made him sloppy with his job.

I entered seeing a small boy, his small hands gripping a broom as e swept the floor, he was around the age of seven. He looked rather shy and insecure.

His aura was very instable making me frown. I held the box I had for onigiri as I went inside and greeted. “hi!” I grinned as my empty and dull eyes were big and joy filled.

I wore a blue kimono with my haori while my long hair was on a side braid Kanae did for me before she and her younger sister went to a mission.

He flinched turning around, “halo, good evening.” He looked hesitant.

I scratched the back of my head, “I am here to see Rengoku Shinjuro,” I tilled my body, “can I see him? Tell him it’s Kitsuki.”

He nodded and headed inside the mansion. Then a few steps were heard behind me. I ignored them and saw someone walks pass me. A familiar blonde male with red tips, he was older than me, around fifteen. His eyes narrow and his brown were into a frown.

Then the boy came outside and tells me to come in, the taller teen walked behind me as I enter then mansion.

I see Shinjuro drinking again making me purse my lips and hand him the gift of his birthday of a few days prior.

I sat down before him after I greeted the Former. “You should stop drinking Shinjuro-San.” I said with a serious face. “your wife wouldn’t be happy you know.” I didn’t care if he glared.

I could see the aura of his sons that were filled with anguish and sadness of how he treated them. Surely Senjuro that was the youngest.

He bit his lip to not insult me, “Kizuki,” I called me at my birth name, “take care of Kyojuro and Senjuro for me.” He begged making my eyes widen.

“wha . . .” I slapped my hand behind his head, “you’re a Former! Act like one!” I yelled as I stood on my feet.

I understood his words, even as a ten year old I knew what he meant, he wanted to die. I knew he wanted that ever since I laid my eyes on him. His aura looked like the dead. And he used the freaking alcohol to forget that.
It made my blood boil.

He held the back his head as he looked down and bowed until his head touched the floor, “I am so sorry.”

After all that I started to leave, not before scolding him, and I saw his sons and boy with bandages around his lower face. I saw how his aura was filled with hate. Hate towards woman and general, I saw his aura was filled with so much that I couldn’t see anything else of him.

I came to him and patted his head making him flinch, “halo.” I smiled at him kindly making the aura calm down. “I am the Moon Pillar.”

I then turned away, “if you need me ask a kakushi to take you to me."

***

I opened my eyes seeing Kyojuro asleep on my chest bandages around his lost eye. I patted his head again as his wavering aura turned white from how calm he was.

I looked at the door seeing Iguro Obanai, the boy with the bandages around his lower face together with Inosuke who looked sad.

I motioned them to come as I patted the space beside me. Obanai sat down on the seat and bend his lower body onto my shoulder. And Inosuke sat down beside me and held my hand.

For me it was normal, comforting the Hashiras at their worst even if I sometimes distanced myself at some point so when the time comes they could easily accept.

That was what I thought until I felt bad for them and started to treat them better.