Kids on the Loose

It was time for lunch. I just about had all the kids in the car. We pulled out of the prison parking lot and got on the highway. I got off the exit to our next destination. The kids had only been here one time before, but they knew the place as soon as they saw it.

    "Space Zone! Space Zone!" Zophia said.

    "That's right, birthday kids! We're gonna go play at Space Zone!" I said.

    There was all kinds of screeching, clapping, and kicking coming from the backseat. I parked the car, got the stoller out, got everyone in, and walked up to the building. It was nice and quiet, since it was a weekday. Especially since it was the day before Christmas Eve. That probably also had something to do with it.

    "Play place! Play place!" Lukas said, yanking on my arm. He was pointing up at the big play gym that was shaped like a rocket.

    "Nuh-uh. Not until we eat and everyone finishes all their food," I said.

    All three of them whined as we walked up to the counter. I specifically took the kids to Space Zone instead of McDonalds because they had healthier options for the kids. 

    "Hello! What can I get for you today?" the lady asked.

    "Hi. I'd like three kids meals with chicken noodle soup, apple slices, and chocolate milk. And the turkey burger meal for me."

"Anything to drink with your turkey burger?"

"Yeah, I'll have the passion fruit smoothie."

"Okay. Your total comes to thirty-two fifty."

I put my debit card into the card reader and took it out when the screen said "approved." My receipt printed out from the machine behind it.

"Here's your receipt. You can take a seat anywhere and your server will be right over. Have a great day," the lady said, handing me the receipt.

"Thanks. You too," I said, taking the receipt. "Okay, let's find a table guys."

I found us a seat inside of the Astro Cafe. Our server brought over booster seats for the kids. I got them all buckled in. Thankfully this place had walls all around it so the kids wouldn't get jumpy and distracted by all the noises in the arcade.

"Momma! Play! I wanna play!" said Ella.

"Soon, baby. We need to eat first. Then we can play."

"No! No!" she said, whining and starting to kick in her seat.

"Ella, stop it! If you don't, you won't be playing at all!" I said.

"Hey everyone! I have three kids meals and a turkey burger," said our server as she placed our dishes down.

"Thanks," I said.

"I'll be right back with your smoothie," she said. 

I gave the kids some sanitizer so they could start eating. I was feeling extra hungry, so I gobbled down my half quarter pounder before my smoothie even arrived. The kids were watching the TV behind us that was mounted on the wall. It was playing a promo for the new Jedi Kids show. 

"Remember, no one plays until they're done eating," I said. "Look at your food, guys."

The kids ate their food, half-heartedly, but eventually started to focus when I asked the server to turn off the TV. I watched each one of them while I finished my side salad.

"Done, Mommy! Play now!" said Lukas.

"Play, Mommy!" said Zophia.

"Mommy, play now!" Ella said.

I looked at the kids' trays of food. Soups were pretty much gone. Apple slices were gone...mostly. I looked at Ella's tray and saw all the apple slices still there. She didn't even touch them.

"Eat your apples and then you can go play, Ella," I said. She crossed her arms and let out a "hmpf" noise. "Okay. Looks like Ella isn't going to play in the playplace today. Zozo and Lukas are going to play, and you'll have to just sit here at the table and watch them until you eat some of your apple slices."

"No Mommy!" she said.

"Then eat your apples," I said.

She started to throw a fit and cry, but then began picking them up after a few minutes. She ate the apples quickly, but cried the whole time. She was such a picky eater when it came to anything healthy.

"Yay! Ella! You did it. Good job eating your apples," I said to her. It brought a smile to her face. "Are we ready to go play now?"

"Yeah!" said the three of them.

I took a few singles out of my wallet to leave a tip for our server. The kids took off towards the play area as I wheeled the stroller behind them. We were literally the only people in the entire building right now. It was perfect.

"Mommy! I wanna slide!" said Zophia, pointing at the big inflatable slide on the other side of the room.

I laughed. "Okay guys, we're all going to the slide now!"

    I gathered the kids and one of the workers helped me get everyone up the slide. He placed all three kids on my lap and we all went down the big slide together...four more times, because even though I was tired and it had already been a long day, I couldn't resist when my kids were shouting "Again, Mommy! Again!"

    We went over to the ballpit after that, where the kids were having a blast. The worker who helped me out on the slide followed me over there. I was just appreciative to have an extra pair of hands.

    "Can you do me a favor?" I asked him. "Would you mind watching them while I go use the bathroom? I'll be really quick."

    "Not a problem," he said with a smile.

I went into the restroom and found an empty stall, then took the thing I'd been hiding out of my purse. I picked up a pregnancy test a few days ago and just never took the time to take it. I missed my last period. It felt like this was finally it.

I did my business, put the cap on the stick, and waited. It beeped when the time was up. I looked at the screen and saw a big plus sign, then started crying. After having a miscarriage and taking fertility drugs for over a year, I was finally going to have another baby.