Summer Of No Fun

By July Fourth, I was almost thirteen weeks pregnant. My bump was still really noticeable. Dr. Andrews said I was measuring a little bit larger than normal, so I had an ultrasound set up on the tenth to see what was up. I couldn't feel any movements yet, but she told me to be patient.

Etsy and I spent the morning of the Fourth working on reassembling the cribs we found on Craigslist. We had to take them apart so they'd fit in her trunk. And we may or may not have mixed up the parts to each of them.

We sat on the floor of the freshly-painted, mint-green room. There were boxes everywhere. Different colored owl pictures hung on the wall. The closet was already full of clothes, so much so that some of them were falling on the floor. We all did a lot of hunting and found big lots of used baby clothes on Facebook Marketplace.

"Okay guys, my Uber is here. I'm off," said Lee, standing in the doorway, wearing his orange Home Depot apron. The day he went in to buy the wood glue for the table, they had a hiring event and gave him a job on the spot.

"Okay, love you!" I said.

"Love you too!" said Etsy.

Lee rolled his eyes and left. I sighed, realizing I just built an entire side of the first crib upside-down.

After struggling all morning with the cribs, I had to leave for work. Etsy dropped me off at Rigby's since the bus wasn't running on the holiday. I really wanted to call out and go to the BBQ at John and Sophia's place with all their family, but anyone who called out on a holiday got written up. I had twins coming. I needed my job.

I clocked in and swiped a folding chair from the break room to sit in, then went to Cara, the supervisor, and she told me what register to go to. I relieved one of the other cashiers so she could go home, put my water bottle under the register, and got started. The lady who was in line next had a whole cart of beer, burgers, hotdogs, and other backyard party stuff.

"Wow, it's surprising that you guys are open this late on a holiday!" she said with a smile, placing her items on the conveyor belt.

People like you are the problem, Karen, I thought.

The lines started to die down around six, and I could have long sitting breaks in-between customers. My feet literally felt like they were going to explode.

"Harper, what's going on here?"

I looked behind me and saw our Store Manager, Hank. This was legit the first time I'd ever seen him out of his office.

"Oh, hey Hank," I said.

"Harper, there are no chairs allowed on the front end," he said.

"Well...Cara doesn't care."

"Store policy says no chairs on the front end."

"I'm pregnant with twins."

"Do you have a doctors' note that you've submitted through HR?"

"Why? Everyone can clearly see that I'm pregnant."

"No doctors' note, no chair. I'll be taking that," he said, putting his hand on the back of my chair.

I seriously wanted to punch that asshole, but I had to restrain myself for my babies. I got up and watched him take the stool back to the breakroom. I bit my lip and tried not to cry. I had more customers to take care of.

"Are you okay honey?" asked the next woman in line. She was holding three bags of hotdog buns.

"I'm pregnant and my feet hurt. My dipshit manager just took my chair away." She set the buns down. I scanned each bag. "Did you...find everything alright today?"

"Yes, of course...and that's awful. You shouldn't be treated like that."

"I know, but I really need this job. I don't have a car so I have to take the bus and this is one of the closest places."

"Have you considered working at the hardware store across the street? They're always hiring."

"I don't know...that's not really my kind of place. I don't know shit about tools or building and stuff."

"We have lots of cashier spots open. You should check it out." She pulled out a card from her purse. "My name is Jen Everston. I'm the District Manager. If you want a job, you just call me, okay? I'll make it happen."

"Thanks. I guess I could give it a try. I'd do anything for my babies."

"Oh my goodness. You're having multiples?"

I hung my head low. "Yes. I'm having t—"

"Triplets here," she said, pointing to her belly.

I didn't notice until right then that she had a noticeable bump.

"The world is a funny place like that. Maybe we were meant to meet." She handed me the money for her hotdog buns. "Don't hesitate to shoot me a text after you apply. I'll make sure to expedite your interview."

"Do you know if I'll be able to sit down at all?" I asked.

"Oh honey, we'll get you a nice rolling chair and have you up at self-checkout. You'll be good to go," she said with a wink. I handed her the change. When she opened her wallet to put it away, she pulled out a hundred dollar bill and hastily handed it to me. "I'll see you around..."

"Harper."

"Harper," she said. "Take care."

She left the store, and I took out my phone to set up an Uber. Right as I was doing that, Hank walked by. Of. Course.

"There's no phones out on the sales floor, either," he said, coming closer to me.

"Nah, it's cool. I was just quitting."

"You what?"

"You heard me, fuckhead! I'm outta here!" I said, walking away as I flipped him off.

I grabbed my stuff from the break room and waited for my Uber, catching a glimpse of some illegal fireworks in the distance. It was time for a new beginning.