[15] hidden foe

[CHAPTER FIFTEEN][hidden foe]

[CHAPTER FIFTEEN]
[hidden foe]

___________

Hayley Marshall moved around in the silky sheets and in her sleepy state she even reached out her hand, searching for Nik's warm touch. Once she didn't find who she was looking for, her eyes shot open, realizing that the place the original hybrid had occupied durning the night was cold and completely empty. And in one way, it seemed oddly familiar.

Almost like Hayley repeated the same thing that happened after that night when she searched for comfort in him after that nightmare. How the werewolf first had awoken in his arms, holding her close as she fell asleep once again. But when she awoke the next time, Nik was gone. And once he came home, what he had done was obvious.

It seemed identical. It made the she-wolf come to the conclusion that either Nik was completely terrified of his own feelings and was unable to face them or that he simply enjoyed to play with her feelings. And really, there was one thing these two options had in common: Klaus Mikaelson was bad for Hayley Marshall.

The pregnant werewolf sighed as she tried to tell herself that it wasn't going to turn out like it did last time. Yet, Hayley couldn't help the other thought to crawl back into her mind. The thought that told her how stupid and foolish she had been to let Nik in again. How foolish she was to allow him to hurt her once again.

Eventually she removed herself from the bed and walked towards the bathroom that was connected to her bathroom, deciding to grab a shower before searched for answers. A warm shower that hopefully would clear her mind and relax her muscles. Maybe even make the baby relaxed and less kicking too. That the alone time was going to help her figure out what the hell was going on with Nik without having to look for answers again. Because each time Hayley looked for answers on that question, it was as if she slipped further and further away from an actual answer.

Honestly, there was something about being alone that the she-wolf loved and hated at the same time. She loved the small moments of self-caring. Hell, she even loved being an independent person that she most certainly could be if it was needed. But then again...loneliness had always been one of her worst fears. How she didn't seem to be enough for her biological parents, how her adoptive parents kicked her out at the age of thirteen and how everyone else she knew kept leaving her...it all was reasons to why that fear was created. Hayley had simply been abandoned before and she didn't want to be abandoned again. And being alone was just a constant reminder of that.

After the shower, after the skin-care routine and after she changed into fresh clothes, Hayley Marshall found herself in front of the full body-length mirror in her bedroom, her eyes fixating on the part of her baby bump that wasn't covered by the shirt she was wearing. Really, it was like that with most of her clothes nowadays, which really shouldn't come as a surprise since she was almost eight months pregnant. She truly needed to buy even larger shirts.