[16] death comes knocking

AUTHOR NOTE/TRIGGER WARNING: there is a warning regarding abuse in the first part of this fanfic ( the one that's called "[the big bad wolf]" ), but I still want to mention it again since it became a bit darker than I first intended. In this chapter, there will be a nightmare that contains tons of abuse. Just in case, I am putting this warning here and I will write a huge sign at the start and the end of the nightmare. That way, you can easily skip the whole nightmare.

 That way, you can easily skip the whole nightmare

[CHAPTER SIXTEEN]
[death comes knocking]

___________

Nightmares, bad dreams, night terrors...it has so many different names despite how it's words that describe the same thing. Sometimes these sorts of dreams are absurd and bizarre, others they are vividly realistic. But was they always figure out a disturbing way to gets under your skin, always set your heart pounding from fear. For many, the night terrors by its core are a memory of something scary you've watched or been through, perhaps even something traumatic and that's happened to you.

Sure, the dream alters as time goes, but that doesn't change how a certain event in our real life started it. It doesn't even matter how far you've moved on, for nightmares comes and goes no matter what you do. Because in a way, a nightmare itself is a horse that will ride you home after you've explored the light. A dark horse that carries you to the deepest parts in your brain that you so wish to forget.

Klaus Mikaelson knew all about that, but it certainly didn't come to his mind once he jerked himself awake from yet another night terror.

If you would ask the original hybrid what happened when he jolts awake from a nightmare and if he was be willing to answer, he would be able to list the answers correctly. He knew exactly how his body and mind reacted to night terrors. But when he was in the middle of it, when the bad dream and memories fitting to it rung in his mind and ears...well...that's a whole other story.

For when he awoke from a nightmare, nothing in his mind worked as it should.

Suddenly, the body snatcher's eyes snapped open as he shot up into a sitting position, his gaze completely frantic as he tried to make sense of his surroundings. He couldn't even divide the nightmare from real life, his mind clouded by paranoia and suspicion of the horrors from the bad dream showing up somewhere in the room and therefore checking time and time again to make sure Mikael wasn't hiding in the corner of the room.

God, he even found it difficult to breathe as each breathe was heavy and hard. It didn't even matter that he was an original and certainly didn't need to breathe to survive. The reminder of the night terror danced in his head, taunting him. The clear memories of the nightmare playing on repeat inside his head.