3. You're dead

The bright morning sun was peeking threw the tree line and the sky was covered in a light orange and pink color. Rebekah stood in Bilbo's garden, leaning her forearms against the wooden fence as she looked over Bag End. The flowers were in bloom and she could see candles being lit in the houses around her. She inhaled the fresh scent of spring and exhaled with ease. It was peaceful and beautiful morning.

Suddenly she heard the rounded door open behind her. She turned her head back and was slightly surprised when she spotted Thorin emerge from the dark hobbit hole. She lightly raised her eyebrows and wondered what he was doing out here, she highly doubted that he wanted to see the sun rise or smell the fresh scent from the flowers around them.

"It's peaceful here isn't it?" Thorin asked with a deep and raspy voiceas he leaned onto the fence next to her.

"It is" she answered and gently nodded.

"I saw you with the hobbit last night, you should not encourage him" Thorin said and glanced over at Rebekah.

She turned her head and was met by his bright blue eyes staring back at her. She couldn't help but look at every little detail on his handsome face. After a few seconds she caught herself staring and quickly shook her head and cleared her throat.

"I know you doubt him, he dose not belong in the wild" she admitted. "But Gandalf chose him for a reason, we all should trust his judgement"

"Of course I doubt him, he's afraid of his own shadow" Thorin said and turned his body sideways to face Rebekah who still was leaning over the wooden fence. "I can not guarantee his safety, nor will I be responsible for his fate" he continued with a slightly more irritated tone in his deep voice.

Rebekah furrowed her eyebrows as she tilted her head upwards to face the passive aggressive dwarf. She was frustrated  by Thorin's lack of faith and trust. Rebekah knew Thorin did not see Bilbo more than a burden and an overgrown baby that could not take care of himself.

"There is one thing your forgetting" Rebekah said as she stood up straight.

"And what is that?" He whispered

"You started out just as inexperienced as Bilbo is right now" She said with a light but firm voice as she blankly started into his eyes. "You trained for many years and became an excellent swordsman...tell me Thorin Oakensheild... how is your success different than his potential?"

Thorin's jaw opened a little as a heavy breath seeped threw his slightly parted lips. He was taken back by what Rebekah had just said. It was not because he was unaccustomed to people talking to him like that but it was because of what she had said. Thorin knew what Rebekah said was true. Bilbo did have the potential of becoming a good worrier but it was not something he had admitted to himself until now.

Thorin tried to think of something to say but not a sound left his lips.

"I'll train him myself so don't worry about him" Rebekah continued  with a sharp exhale threw her nose before she walked into the hobbit hole and left Thorin by the wooden fence speechless.

The dwarves were inside packing the last of their belongings before they carried their bags outside to where the ponies were hitched.

Rebekah strapped on the leather saddle on her pony Ferya when she noticed Dwalin and Kili chuckling and giggling amongst themselves . Rebekah looked over and noticed they were laughing at Bilbo who had a hard time getting up on his pony. He looked confused and uncomfortable as he tired to get up, it was clear that Bilbo did not have much experience when it came to mounting or riding ponies.

Rebekah sighed heavily and started making her way over to Bilbo, she shot an evil glare at the laughing dwarfs as she passed them. Fili's laughter faded into silence and continued strapping the saddle.