17. Bilbo's betrayal

Thorin's sickness had poisoned his mind, he faded further and further away from the dwarf he once was. Thorin pushed away the people who loved and followed him, he had become so blind by his anger and grief he had no recollection of what he was doing.

He just declared war agains a large army of elves and hundreds of angry fishermen from Lake Town. The company was outnumbered by far but Thorin did not care. He would protect his gold and riches with his life.

The next morning Thorin and the company was standing on the newly built wall looking upon the army closing in on them. The elves walked in sync in perfect formation until they all came to a stop in front of the gates of Erebor.

Thorin saw Thranduil riding on a elk like creature with Bard by his side. Thorin gave them both a disgusted look as they both approached the newly built stone wall.

Thorin took up his bow and aimed an arrow at the large elk. He loosened his grip around the arrows feathers and the arrow flew in high speed, hitting the ground at the elf's hooves.

"I will put the next one between your eyes" Thorin yelled and aimed another arrow. The company started cheering and laughing at the elven king.

Thranduil was not intimidated by Thorin's threat. He gently moved his head down and all the elves took out their bows in sync and aimed several arrows at the company. They quickly stopped cheering and hid behind the wall like cowards. Thorin however stood his ground showing he wasn't afraid of a few arrows

. Thranduil raised his hand and the elves put away their bows.

"We have come to tell you, payment of your debt has been offered, and accepted" Thranduil said to Thorin.

"What payment?! I gave you nothing, you have nothing" Thorin yelled with an angry voice.

Thranduil looked over at Bard. He reached in his jacked and pulled out the arkenstone. The stone Thorin had been looking so long for, the stone he had been so eager to find, the kings jewel and that very stone was in the hands of Bard. The people Thorin had refused to help.

Thorin and the rest of the company looked chocked at what they saw.

"We have this" Bard said and held up the arkenstone into the air for the dwarfs to get a clear view of the treasure he hold.

"They have the arkenstone, thieves! How came you of the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!"
Kili yelled.

"The king may have it, with our goodwill. But first he must honor his word" Bard said with a slight smile on his face and put the stone back in his jacket.

Thorin shaked his head.

"They are talking us for fools, it is a ruse, a filthy lie. The arkenstone is in this mountain, it is a trick!" Thorin yelled but was suddenly interrupted by Bilbo who was standing behind Thorin.

Thorin turned his head back and looked on Bilbo.

"It's no trick the stone is real, I gave it to them" Bilbo said and sighed.

Bilbo admitted to Thorin and the rest of the company that he willingly gave the stone to Bard the previous night. Bilbo gave the stone to Bard in concern of Thorin's state of mind. He knew Thorin had changed for the worst over the past few days. Being surrounded by gold, gems and grief poisoned his mind to an unrecognizable state, Bilbo gave it to Bard in hope of a change. A change to get the king he once knew back to his normal self.

But Bilbo was wrong.

Consumed with rage and the feeling of betrayal Thorin threatened to kill his friend by throw him of the rampant.
His anger grew when his orders weren't obeyed so he took it upon himself to do the horrible deed but the company stopped him and allowed Bilbo to escape the fury of the poisoned king.

Bilbo filled with chock and confusion climbed down the stone wall and accompanied Gandalf along with Bard, Thranduil and the large elven army.

"Never again will I have dealings with wizards, or shire rats!" Thorin yelled in anger and looked down at his enemies.

"Are we resolved, the return of the arkenstone for what was promised?" Bard suddenly asked. Thorin didn't answer, he remained silent and gently glanced over at the hill. The bright light from the rising sun shined upon Erebor.

"Give us your answer! Will you have peace, or war?" Bard asked looking up at the king.

Suddenly Thorin saw a raven flying in the sky. The bird flew onto the wall in front of Thorin.

He looked at the black raven as his breathing got heavier. Suddenly he heard the sound of marching approaching the gates of Erebor. Thorin glanced over at the hill and his eyes landed on the tips of hundreds of spears lifted high into the air.

A sense of relief filled Thorin's body when he realized the army marched from the iron hills where his cousin Dain was lord.

Thorin got a light smile on his face as the army came to a stop in front of the elven army and Thorin saw his cousin riding on a large hog.

"I will have war"