Desire | 29

As your eyes flutter open, you find yourself in your room. Seeing a Balladeer by your side, you saw him holding your hand. Surprised that he was there, you involuntarily tried to pull your hand away, but, the Harbinger kept his grip and didn't let you go.

He looked up and you could immediately feel your face flush heated red. You thought he was still asleep. "Is something wrong?" he asked, leaning his head against his arm and pulling your hand closer.

"You, uh- how long have you been awake for?" you asked, but, as he fidgeted with your hand, he sat up and did not respond. When he finally looked back at you, you could only gaze at him. "Your hands are cold," he remarked, surprising you.

Though you felt your skin crawl for a moment, you smiled. "I suppose so" you responded with a soft tone.

Your odd behavior caused Scaramouche to frown in doubt, not understanding what you meant. Suddenly, he squeezed your hand tightly, causing you to flinch. He quickly stood up, looking at you, and. In a matter of seconds, he had grabbed your blanket and moved it over your shoulders, trapping your head between his arms while the covers tightly covered your mouth. He loomed over you with a cheeky grin.

"Humans like you are so... weak" he whispered, and you could feel your face immediately begin to heat up. "m-mH!" you attempted to talk back, but only quiet muffles were heard.

After Scaramouche let go of his grip, he rose and looked at you softly before grabbing his hat. "where are you going?" you asked as you watched the harbinger walk away, "are you going to leave? How long will you be gone for?"

Your words stopped him, and he looked back to meet your desperate gaze, "oh? What's this?" he said, amused at your reaction. "No need to be so worried" he chuckled "Cause, after all, I still have a deal to fulfill."

'A deal with Ayaka to accompany you through recovery in exchange for her to not tell the other commissions about his presence in Inazuma, but--

Scaramouche said before leaving the room.

--the harbinger could easily break his end of the deal, yet, he still chooses not to.

As much as he would deny it, he still wanted to have more time with you.

-

By listening to the front door, you confirmed that the harbinger had left the house. Looking to your side, you breathed out a quiet sigh of exhaustion as the aching pain in your chest returned as your body relaxed.

Neither after being stabbed nor when you stepped off that cliff did you intend to live. But, upon seeing his worry, a renewed sense of life begins to grow inside of you. Perhaps living won't be so bad.

But,

you knew you've lost your chance.

You were reliant on a needle that would only shorten your life by the day, as your body wouldn't take the medicine from the needle well, thus leaving you stuck in a situation where death was unavoidable.

"Maybe in the next life, we'll have more time," you muttered to yourself as you look to the side-When you noticed the bottom drawer of your table was slightly open, you immediately knew what it was.

You felt your stomach twist in fear at the idea of who took it. 'Who?"