Insanity (Chapter Six)

"You love me this much and yet you still killed me, and now you expect me to like you back. You made the first move, stringing me in like I'm just that easy while the fact that you killed me lays dormant in the back of your mind and you don't even feel an inch of guilt." - Gojo Satoru, 2007

---

"-Suku- Sukuna-" Sukuna opens his eyes into slits at the fuzzy voice by his ear.

"What?" Sukuna manages to mutter, blinking as he tries to get rid of his blurry vision. How long has he slept? The sun is down by now, which means he has slept through the whole afternoon.

"Come on, wake up. It's already dinner time. Megumi did everything because he couldn't wake us up." It's clear to Sukuna that Satoru is already feeling much better just by listening to his voice. Sukuna's movements are sluggish as he pushes himself up from the bed, still feeling tired after hours of sleep and he's pretty sure that isn't a good sign.

At the dining table, Satoru is talking about something while Sukuna keeps his gaze on his food, tuning him out. "Sukuna, are you even listening?"

"No, you're just talking nonsense anyway." Well, Sukuna isn't wrong.

"Sukuna-" Satoru was going to annoy him because of that statement but pauses when he senses something wrong. The curse has sweat dripping down his forehead and is swaying sideways a little from time to time.
"Did you catch my fever?" Satoru furrows his eyebrows, worry visible on his face.

"I'm fine..." Sukuna doesn't sound fine. Satoru clearly doesn't believe him so Sukuna is forced to head straight to bed after dinner, resting early tonight even though it's Christmas Eve. Except for his initial refusal, Sukuna goes to bed obediently, feeling the tiredness sipping into his bones.

Maybe he did catch Satoru's fever, although Sukuna isn't really convinced by that explanation. Whatever this is, he hopes it'll go away after a nap.

What Sukuna didn't expect was to sleep through Christmas, nor the day after, nor the next, and the next, and the next......

---

January 2007.

It's currently the coldest month of the year, the sky dark and hazy while trees are covered in snow. The house is silent on this winter morning, as quiet as to how it has been for the past week. Satoru yawns while he prepares a simple breakfast for himself and Megumi. His cooking skills have improved a little, although Satoru thinks it's not even a bit notable compared to Sukuna's. The both of them eat in silence, with the atmosphere at the table being as gloomy as the sky outside.

After breakfast, Satoru cleans the table and does the dishes, chores which he hasn't done ever since Sukuna came into his life. Satoru wipes his hands with a cloth before heading towards Sukuna's room, checking up on the curse as he always does. He checks on him a few times a day, sometimes sitting in a chair in the room when he has nothing important to do, staring at the curse's sleeping face and hoping for Sukuna to wake up. It's been more than a week since Sukuna has fallen into a coma. When Satoru couldn't wake Sukuna up on Christmas morning, he had panicked. He had called Shoko, his voice so distressed that Shoko actually came to check up on the curse and finding nothing wrong with him.

Whatever's happening to Sukuna, it isn't something a Reverse Cursed Technique could heal.

So Satoru is alone, waiting, wringing his hands together as he watches the curse sleeps, anxiety and worry coursing through his veins. What if Sukuna never wakes up? Satoru wouldn't know what to do if that happens. With Six Eyes, Satoru sees a difference in Sukuna's cursed energy. It seems to be wavering, thinning, weakening. Despite Satoru being able to see all this, there's nothing he can do. Why is this happening? How can he help him? It's at this point when Satoru realizes he doesn't know anything.